Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Mechagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Removing Door Lock Knobs.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy,
I managed to take one of the door lock knobs off of my '55 Clipper but I'm having a lot of trouble removing the other one. It's pressed on and pulling straight up gets me nowhere.
I have taken all of the window frames off and want to get this frame off too but the knob is blocking my efforts.
Any ideas from will help!
Thanks in advance guys!!

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:27
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Door Lock Knobs.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Pressed on???

As best I recall, the locking knobs (and end of the rods) for the rear doors on my Patricians (both '55 and '56) were threaded - figured Clipper would be same.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 12:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which kind you have but some screwed, others were a softer material that was a press fit onto some barb like or ridge protrusions on rod. If this is what you're working with, Packard had a small heater that would slip over them. Might try some heat from a hair dryer to see if it will soften things up a bit. You can tell from the ones removed what type and about where the barbs are. Some have been on so long, they're brittle, cracked and tight, and will be destroyed no matter how gentle you are.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 13:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Heat sounds like a good idea. I managed to get the other one off..and it is a press on/barbed type.
It does seem soft enough that a hairdryer might be sufficient to loosen it up.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted on: 2008/8/25 13:47
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On the '54s you have to loosen the window reveal so you can pull the door panel off, and then disengage the knob rod from the linkage inside the door. Then the knob and rod pull up and out, and then you can get the reveal off. It's like some demented rubix cube puzzle or something.

If someone has an easier way, then PLEASE let me know!

Posted on: 2008/8/26 1:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I doing some work with the Service Counselors for an upcoming project, and I noticed there is an article in the August 1952 Counselor (Vol 26, No. 8) that describes the building of a MacGuiver style heater our of scrap parts. This heater was used to heat the door knobs to 150 degrees which softened the plastic enough to pull if off the barbed metal rod. So I guess the heat method is the Packard recommended removal method for door lock knobs going back as far at 1952.

Please read this Service Counselor (located in the 1952 SC set here on the website) for the article.

Posted on: 2008/8/26 23:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Well I finally got a chance to take the door lock knob off and instead of using the McGiver type spark plug wire/uranium/kryptonite tool I tried a hair dryer. I'm bald so the hair dryer belongs to my wife and the last time we used it it was to put plastic wrap on the windows to keep out the cold in the basement. I kept the dryer about 1/2 inch away from the knob and it took about a minute to soften the knob, I pulled on it and off it came..success!! The knob was so hot that I dropped it and it rolled under the car...geez! When I finally picked it up it was still in perfect condition..hooray!

Posted on: 2008/8/30 18:53
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Excellent! Glad to here that technique works.

Yes I was worried that the spare parts contraption they describe building in that Service Counselor would have torn a hole in the time space continuum. I'm suprised it wasnt powered with 2.1 gigawatts. As that is what makes time travel and lock knob removal possible!

Posted on: 2008/8/31 4:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kev, it's 1.21 gigawatts.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
1.21 was for original or NOS flux capacitors. Those are NLA since DeLorean went under so the used or rebuilt available now aren't quite as efficient--takes 2.1.

Posted on: 2008/8/31 13:35
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved