Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 85

John Sauser, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Six Overdrive
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
I am restoring a 39 six with overdrive, car was in pieces when purchased. does anyone know the wiring and location of the relay referred to in the shop manual. I seem to have located all except the relay. Also, a picture of an operating switch would be appreciated - I seem to think my switch is missing something, nothing seems to move on it, don't know is switch is operated by adjustable screw. Manual talks about a plunger ????

Posted on: 2014/6/10 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Six Overdrive
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a 39 am assuming your OD is the one year only R6 unit, If so, here is a page from 1938 Service Letter Vol 12 #23 showing the components. The relay and control switches are pictured. The Packard factory schematic is shown in Service Letter Vol 12 #18 but is hard to follow. Here is a schematic that is a bit easier to read taken from Motors Manual, Eleventh edition.

If by chance your unit is not the R6 then it would be the R9 which was used 40 - mid 48 and there are considerable differences from the R6. Information on that unit can be found in service literature from those years

Attach file:

jpg  (48.44 KB)
209_539766672b445.jpg 601X831 px

jpg  (124.27 KB)
209_53976674b6542.jpg 838X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/6/10 15:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply - another quick question - is the overdrive always engaged and disengaged by pulling the cable - I have been told several different ways it should work, but have not found anyone with a actual working version of the overdrive- also, should the switch indicated in your diagrams have any play? mine seems to be solid if I try to actuate by hand.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 13:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
..is the overdrive always engaged and disengaged by pulling the cable

Yes.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 14:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Found a couple of more Service Letter articles on the R6. One has the cable adjustment procedure and the other explains the changes from early to late electrical versions. It also mentions a few snippets on operation but I have not driven one myself so don't have any direct knowledge on the particulars of the unit. If you don't get a response soon from someone close, know there is at least one functional unit in Australia so perhaps he will see your post and can give definitive operational instructions.

Not sure what you mean by "play" but if asking if the plunger in the kickdown or accelerator switch should move, yes it should have motion. Expect it would be somewhere around 1/4" which would be comparable to the later switches.

It does have a spring inside but not a terribly strong one. Possibly the switch needs to be taken apart and cleaned. It looks similar to the later ones which can have the tabs gently bent clear and fiber back removed to access the inner parts. Can't tell on one terminal if it is just grounded thru tab pressure or soldered so that might need extra attention. Just be careful not to over bend the tabs and do it slowly while keeping pressure on the back so nothing comes flying out.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.65 KB)
209_5398b406665db.jpg 567X775 px

jpg  (42.83 KB)
209_5398b4110649e.jpg 377X617 px

Posted on: 2014/6/11 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JIMO
See User information
THANK YOU again for all the information - one last question - do you where the physical location of the overdrive relay is? My vehicle was lacking any wiring when I acquired it, so I can;t back track any old wiring. Thanks again.

Posted on: 2014/6/12 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
It is mounted on the firewall, roughly above the starter, however, I do not have an archived photo post. Anyone out there with a camera?

Posted on: 2014/6/12 12:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved