Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

hardened valve spring seats
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kevinkfk
See User information
any help locating some hardened valve spring seats for my 55 clipper . im the same yahoo that was looking for tourquoise engine paint with no success . thanx

Posted on: 2014/6/29 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: hardened valve spring seats
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Are you SURE you mean "hardened valve spring seats" and not "hardened exhaust valve seats"??? The latter is the universal problem with all pre-1972 cylinder heads because the lead has been removed from the gasoline. Any competent automotive machine shop should be able to get and install them.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/6/29 14:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Kevin:

I guess you mean you want the upgraded valve spring retainers that prevent the keepers from punching through.

I saw your note about the paint and if you can't find anything a paint supply shop can match a sample in base coat/clear coat. Some stores even put the stuff into spray cans.

Hirsch may be having supply problems due to VOC laws. Eventually that will put all back yard restorations in the dumpster.

Posted on: 2014/6/29 14:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

kevinkfk
See User information
tim, thanx 4 the reply. i have two gizmos under the valve spring locks/keepers that are broke . i thought from day one in packard land that the next big concern on the v8 [ after the oil pump ] was these valve spring seats [ official name in my service manuel ] . it was my understanding that they needed 2 be replaced with hardened ones . thoughts anyone .thanx kevin

Posted on: 2014/6/29 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Packard technical writers are the only ones I've ever seen refer to them as "valve spring seats", but they do.

In the same 1956 Shop Manual, the Studebaker technical writers call them "valve spring retainers".

In any case, you are correct in that early retainers are too soft. Check yours with a file. If the file easily cuts an edge, then they're bad. If the file skates and doesn't easily cut, they're good.

Question about the retainers. I've seen a few replacement retainers with a molded rubber seal around the base of the opening. If they have a few years on them, the rubber always cracks off. Anyone else noticed this?

While you're in there, might as well check the valve spring tension. At least 50% of those I check are below the 87-97# @ 1.75" requirement.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/6/29 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Good info on the file test for the valve spring retainers. This is the first time I have heard they may be a concern. The past repair for weak spring tension on head refurb was shims under the spring to restore seat pressure however wont this just aggravate our problems of collapsing lifters if running the stock oil pump? High spring seat pressures are only required with aggressive cams or high rpm. Driving the Packard conservatively should not create an issue, Is there a vin break point or build date to ensure hardened retainers. I assume the file test is on a torn down motor? I would worry about this test on an in service engine due to inducing a failure at the file gouge, as it could cause a stress riser and failure where there was none before. How often do these fail on say an untouched orig engine? All v8s an issue? 55 and 56?

Posted on: 2014/6/29 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The past repair for weak spring tension on head refurb was shims under the spring to restore seat pressure however wont this just aggravate our problems of collapsing lifters if running the stock oil pump? High spring seat pressures are only required with aggressive cams or high rpm. Driving the Packard conservatively should not create an issue, Is there a vin break point or build date to ensure hardened retainers. I assume the file test is on a torn down motor? I would worry about this test on an in service engine due to inducing a failure at the file gouge, as it could cause a stress riser and failure where there was none before. How often do these fail on say an untouched orig engine? All v8s an issue? 55 and 56?

Driving conservatively may save you, may not. There were so many failures in '55 that Packard hardened the retainers. Were all those owners abusing the cars, using aggressive cams or high RPMs? Doubtful, but the retainers still failed.

As to high seat pressures, didn't notice anyone advocating that, just what the Shop Manual says should be there. If the springs are too light, even using passing gear would be noticeably soft at normal RPMs.

I'd guarantee the file test on the outer edge of a retainer on an assembled engine would never be the cause of a failure from a stress riser. Just wouldn't happen. Retainers don't fail at the edge. The keepers pull through the center.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/6/29 20:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Thanks Jack. Yes I agree with you as far as the early failures back in the 50s. I was not suggesting to maintain low spring pressures as a remedy for bad retainers.If heads are off by all means use hardened retainers and shim the springs to factory seat press. I was just thinking 5 or 8 lbs light on seat wont cause anything except valve float at the higher revs. I dont even mash the gas and use the passing gear so at conservative revs, If the retainers have not failed by now, should we leave sleeping dogs lie? The clipper runs great in D high range cruising round town or at 55 seems ok.

Posted on: 2014/6/30 11:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved