Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pressurizing oil before starting engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Hello,
I'm about to start the engine in my 37 115 c. The engine has been sitting for some time but has always been full of clean oil. What are my options for circulating/pressurizing oil before I attempt to turn the engine over by the starter. I will hand rotate the engine before using the starter. Thank you

Posted on: 2014/10/2 15:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Pressurizing oil before starting engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you have a hand pressure oiler (something with a bit more oomph than just a squirt oil can) you can use it to pressurize either thru the main oil galley opening on the driver's side, or from any of the oil galley plugs on the other side. Or just crank it a few turns on the starter with the coil wire removed and see if the pressure gauge moves off it's stop which it probably will.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
I used a friend's pressurized oil can made by Golden Rod. The can allowed for the connection of a tapered pipe thread fitting to be connected (after unscrewing the original spout). I used a clean grease gun flex tube that had the proper fittings and it worked. Well, until my hands were tired after lots of pumping and crankshaft turning and pumping and turning, etc. to make sure the oil paths of the crank journals were getting oil.

The can includes a cap through which you can add more oil.
These things have been around for many years and are still available.

However, if you've used plenty of oil during the assembly of the engine, I'd say you are at little risk to use the starter. I'd agree with Owen's suggestion.

Remember that the starter runs at a much slower rpm than the at idle, so the wear of friction is less. Plus, during starting, the only piston loading on the rod and main bearings is during the compression stroke, which again, is much less than the loads during the power stroke, when the fuel ignition blasts the piston down.

Finally, for your 37, this is easy to do. You don't need to pull the coil wire. You can also just leave the ignition switch off and use the button on the dash (or starter solenoid).

I use a similar approach when starting my car if it has set for a couple weeks, just to get oil up into and the main gallery.

I hope this helps.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/10/2 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Take out the spark plugs and disconnect the coil wire, then spin it in 15-20 sec bursts with the starter. Let the starter cool for a minute or two between every couple of cycles. When you have oil pressure (some guys will run it all the way to normal pressure whatever that is for your engine) then you're ready to put the parts back and start it.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 22:26
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you to all of you with your replies concerning pressurizing the crankcase

Posted on: 2014/10/3 19:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved