Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

In the "Anything-for-Big-Bucks" Department
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

This '31 845 boat-tail by Bohman & Schwartz has been kicking around on-line for a while:

http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?option=com_caradvert&view=ad§ion_id=1&id=168621&Itemid=432

Given that Bohman & Schwartz didn't exist until 1933, after the dissolution of Walter Murphy Coachbuilders, one should be a tad suspicious.

But look at that crude execution of the body rearward of what is obviously a sedan cowl and front door. The shame of it is, that 845 chassis would be a great one to re-body with a genuine period full custom that has been lost to time.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/10/4 7:53
 Top  Print   

Re: In the "Anything-for-Big-Bucks" Department
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Steve, how is the sedan cowl different? I always thought that the cowl and everything in front of it was the same.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 8:10
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A bit off topic but one of the boat tail designs that I thought was very-well executed was the small series of bodies made by Murray for the 1931 Hudson Greater Eight chassis. This was owned by a friend here in NJ some years back, restoration by Grey Hills in NJ (Marty Beron).

Attach file:

jpg  (124.46 KB)
177_542ffb685cb81.jpg 934X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/10/4 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

The cowl and doors of the roadsters and phaetons have the upper surface sweep past the windshield mounting and blend gracefully into the door tops. The windshields are a separate cast chrome unit. Door cut-lines don't necessarily coincide with the shape of the cowl-to-bodyside transition.

The factory-bodied convertible coupe and convertible sedans are much more similar in that of the regular sedan in that the A-pillar departs directly up from the cowl, extending the door opening cut-lines and even hinging.

Thanks Owen, for adding the photos of the Hudson boat-tail, the rear view demonstrates nicely what is meant by surface development. Note how the upper surface is curved and shaped to harmonize with the forward cowl. Those Murray boat-tail bodies have a much more shaped and elegant interpretation than most all other contemporary such bodies.

But even the Auburns which seem to be the most common show what a mistake the bodybuilder of this 845 made in assuming the surfaces were simply flat. Real panel-beating, coachbuilding skills are required to create such a body correctly, something definitely lacking in this 845 re-body here. Bohman & Schwartz would be insulted to have this attributed to them!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/10/4 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The only period possibilities I see are that either the car was done by an employee or for a movie props department. That is providing the plate is legitimate. Maybe that's a fake too. I thought B&S used a step plate the same way as Brewster and didn't use a regular cowl tag. I've never seen one of their cars in person.

It looks like a sedan windshield frame with reinforcements. That would never show up on a custom order.

The price is absurd, but at least it isn't a street rod.

Posted on: 2014/10/4 16:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved