Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 163

William Grosz, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuse Location, Trunk light 23rd series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Would anyone have a clue as to where the fuse location is for the Trunk light on my 23rd series, 1950 Packard Deluxe 8? I must be looking in the wrong places. Your help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Mike Burkhart
Dodge City, KS

Posted on: 2014/11/3 12:00
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuse Location, Trunk light 23rd series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Are you aware of the fact that your trunk light only works if your parking or headlights are on?

Posted on: 2014/11/3 12:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
No, I was not aware of that. That makes sense. I went out to try that and discovered my tail lights and license plate light does not work now. Probably from fiddling with the wire back there I may have shorted it out to ground. So, where is THAT fuse at now? Murphy's law, again.
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2014/11/3 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your car is stock, the trunk light is fed from the same 4 way connector on tail light wire, left rear side of trunk near tail light, that feeds the individual lights. That wire is connected to the "T" terminal on headlight switch and is protected by a self resetting circuit breaker physically mounted to end of headlight switch. A short will trip the breaker and after a few seconds if the short is cleared it should reset. If the short is still present it will cycle on and off for as long as the circuit is powered.

If you have been fiddling, check the license light wire carefully where it goes thru the sheetmetal and out at rear of trunk near the vertical panel. The rubber grommet in metal may be missing or broken at the hole and the insulation on the wire could also have given up somewhere along the short length to light.

Posted on: 2014/11/3 12:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I will check all of that. Your help is valuable and much appreciated.
mike

Posted on: 2014/11/3 13:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I found the problem. The spade connector on the left side near the tail light inside of the trunk had a loose connection. I pushed the spade back in to the connector and the lights came back on. I'll mess with the trunk light another day.
Thanks for all your help!!
Mike

Posted on: 2014/11/3 16:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Playing with the trunk light again. I have power to the fixture and the bulb is good. I took the fixture loose from the trunk lid and when I jiggle it around, the light flashes on occasionally. It won't stay on when tipped forward (Like if the trunk was open). I suspect the mercury switch in it is faulty. Is there any way to fix that, or is there anyone that fixes them?

I don't want to spend $100.00 on a NOS one on Ebay, not knowing whether it works or not.

Your help is always appreciated!
Mike

Posted on: 2014/11/5 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If memory serves, it's a floating steel ball switch and not a mercury switch. Probably just some rust inside.

Posted on: 2014/11/5 10:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is any help, here is a photo taken by another poster of his disassembled light assy. He concluded mercury was in his switch but Packard used both. Not sure when the transition was made because the later assys do have the steel ball.

I know he was looking for something small and shaped similarly to the capsule to replace his switch. Not sure he found anything that would easily work because thanks to mercury phase out, switches of that size are all but extinct. Small mercury switches are still used in electronic applications and available from some electronic stores but the packaging and size are considerably different.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.97 KB)
209_545a471e1f084.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/5 10:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
OK, guys. That's a big help. I really appreciate the tips. I have been playing with Packards for 50 years, but I still learn something new about them all the time.
Thanks,
Mike

Posted on: 2014/11/5 11:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved