Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 191

Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

33-1003 current limit relay HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
my 33 project was some what restored in 1980, engine rebuilt, paint and upholstery and then parked. the switches and lighters in the rear compartment were never hooked up-i assume it was because of a short to ground that i found in the circuit for the lighters. turned out the front lighter was missing one insulated washer-grounded the hot wire. the result is the current limit relay got fried. on top of the two fuses there is a .050 steel wire that rapes around an insulator in parallel with fuse and connects the main leads to the amp meter. my question is this some kind of special wire, i assumed it was steel as it passed the magnet test.
the switches are wired so the DS controls the corner lights and the PS controls the dome light when the light switch is in the first notch.
thanks for any advice and help any one might have, i have not been able to find many manuals for this car, i have more for my 28

Posted on: 2015/1/4 0:09

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 33-1003 current limit relay HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Dell,

The wire used is typically nickel chromium wire, often called Chromel C, is the wire of choice for heating elements, resistance windings, and hot wire cutters. Due to its nickel content, this hard-drawn wire acts like a soft bend-and-stay wire. Maximum temperature is 1800? F.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nickel-chromium-wire/=vbhzfe

Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (73.22 KB)
1584_54a93b183fe40.jpg 1022X614 px

Posted on: 2015/1/4 8:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
thanks dave i will order some today. dell

Posted on: 2015/1/4 12:32

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dell & Dave,

I just sat down this afternoon planning on doing two things. First I went to PackardInfo.com to see what had been posted the last several days and second was to write a request for help.

I'm restoring the fuse block on my '32 and the wire, while still present and unbroken, is very corroded and needs to be replaced. Therefore, I was going to place a call for to determine what type of wire to use and to confirm it's diameter.

So I want to thank both of you for your assistance.

Dell looking at Mc Master it looks like the wire is 0.045 or 0.050". This would equate to 15 to 20 feet of wire for a 1/4# spool. If you are willing to share some of the wire, I'd be willing to split the cost with you - Send me a PM.

Also, Tom Wilcox on his site has some nice pictures on his restoration of the part.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 19:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved