Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Which was the first self-starting Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Admittedly, my knowledge of auto-mechanics history is nil, so I may be asking questions that are juvenile at best. That notwithstanding, which Packard model was the first to be a self-starter, as opposed to using a hand-crank.
kind regards,
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/2 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Which was the first self-starting Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Cadillac introduced the electric starter and lighting with its 1912 models. This was a giant leap forward for the automobile as it offered easier operation and improved lighting. Packard, and most other makes, must have followed soon there after. The Packard Model Info section will probably tell us when this took place.

(o{}o)

I looked on the model info section (1912 and 1913), but could not find any information on the question.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 11:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yes, John (JW) is right in saying that Cadillac pioneered this area. Packard followed one year later with the 1-38, which was driven by an L-head (flathead) engine. It was the 1st LHD-Packard. The headline of a related advertisement was: "Where is the crank?"

Posted on: 2015/1/2 11:59
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2015/1/2 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
That classic ad says it all. I agree, electrical lighting and self-starter as early as 1912 was pretty phenomenal.

Thanks for sharing the image.
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/2 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Garret, I was in a hurry and inadvertently forgot to mention the Photo Archive as the source of the above shown ad. John (423reed) deserves the credit.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Gumby

Almost everybody had electric start and generating system by 1914. It was such a crying need that there was no reason to not install it. There were many systems in the market besides the Delco system. Dodge, for one, used a starter/generator in the same unit.

The holdout, of course, was Ford. They did not offer it until 1919 and then as an option. Post 1919 Model T's without a starter still carried oil cowl lamps.

Maybe Henry felt the starter polluted the purity of the "Universal Car" or something, but I'm willing to bet it had to do with paying royalties, and his vexed relationship with Cadillac. He founded what became Cadillac before the Ford Motor Company, but got thrown out by the bankers for fooling around with race cars.

Which is why he was carried to his grave in Packard hearse

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2015/1/2 18:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved