Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 151

HH56, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, 37Blanche, uwe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Delco Remy starter question.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Hey everyone,
I'm rebuilding the starter, a Delco Remy 1107943, and I was just wondering as to what kind of lubricant I should use for shaft bushings? Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/12/16 22:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Delco Remy starter question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51-4 manual electrical section on rebuilding procedure just says oil and the only thing the 55 service manual mentions is oil.

On 55 Delco they go a bit further and say lubricate the drive end of armature shaft with SAE 10w oil. On the Autolite they say the starters use absorbent bearings and to soak them in 10w oil for a period of time before installing so oil is absorbed in the bearing. Also to use a light wipe of oil on the pinion end of shaft.

I believe there are some oil cups that get periodic lube so wouldn't think there would be a need for anything else.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 0:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many of the bushings found on generators and starters that are lubricated with oil are based on the Chrysler patent of 1930 for "Oilite" bushings. Essentially they are formed from sintered bronze and the pores retain oil for prolonged period of time, hence the frequent instruction to soak them in oil prior to installation to saturate the pores with oil.

For such bushings that aren't readily available, you can purchase (from MSC and others) oilite-type stock and turn to size. To avoid the machining process from closing the pores you should use a VERY sharp machine tool, tungsten carbide or equivalent; do not grind, hone or ream as these processes tend to close the pores.

Posted on: 2015/12/17 11:22
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure there are "oilite" bushings in my starter, I'm familiar with them as they are used in the copiers I work with in the field. The bushings are in great shape and don't need replacing. I will clean them up and then soak them in 10w oil before reassembling. There appears to be no way of lubricating them without disassembling the starter.
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/12/17 20:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There appears to be no way of lubricating them without disassembling the starter.

I don't think there is anything you should be overly concerned about with proper installation and initial lubrication. The starter on my '34 has no oil cups or provision to lubricate the bushings and it was last serviced perhaps 40,000 miles ago and still functions well though as I think of it, perhaps it's time to give it a little PM.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 10:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved