Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 202

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A Question About a Generator/Relay/Regulator for a '32 901
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I'm near the end of installing the wiring harnesses (Rhode Island Wiring Services). The electrical schematic shows regulator and relay (see attached photos). On my car's generator, a OD CI-1005, there is a device. Is it correct that this functions as both relay & regulator? At least that is what I came up with after reading a paper published by "Uncle Milt the Instructor".

The reason that I pose this question is that in one of the boxes of goodies that came with the car there is a voltage regulator (see photo) and I want to ensure that I'm not missing something. After all, I've been told that the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

Attach file:

jpg  (176.99 KB)
1063_56c183744a967.jpg 1280X1019 px

jpg  (73.20 KB)
1063_56c183d2a1eb3.jpg 1280X904 px

jpg  (87.70 KB)
1063_56c183e360cd2.jpg 1107X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 2:53
 Top  Print   

Re: A Question About a Generator/Relay/Regulator for a '32 901
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have a "3rd-brush" generator so primary regulation of the output is done via manual adjustment of the brush. If you're driving with a heavy load like headlights & perhaps heater or radio you turn up the 3rd brush for more output, during long daytime driving with just the load of the ignition coils you turn it down to avoid overcharging the battery.

Your 2nd photo appears to be the correct O-D 21262 generator control which is essentially a cutout and primitive regulator. Instead of a graduater control over amperare as I recall it just offers a single step up or down. I don't know what the first photo unit is, obviously not an OEM unit for that generator.

The armature and field wires from the generator itself connect to the underside of the O-D unit and of the external terminal tabs only the one marked BAT is used.

The NAPA/Echlin replacement unit for the original O-D 21262 (VR 755) has been discontinued. If you need help with these units I recommend Jason at AER. He can convert your O-D unit to full automatic regulation but that also requires that the generator be converted internally to a 2-brush type. I do have the factory instructions for adjustment of the O-D unit if you need them.

Posted on: 2016/2/15 9:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I took off the rear cover of the generator and it looks like it has been completely rebuilt. The 1st photo was a portion of a larger electrical schematic that I found (don't remember where now), but here it is.

Instructions on how to adjust would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

Attach file:

jpg  (150.81 KB)
1063_56c1fd52ac363.jpg 1280X814 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like an A.E.A. wiring diagram which the following is also from.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.50 KB)
177_56c1feaa0fbeb.jpg 930X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/15 11:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved