Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 107

Todd W. White, BigKev, RKS, 54packpac, Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Skis for cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
The guys on "American Pickers" were picking the barns of an old Vermont farmer who had extremely early farm equipment, buggies, wagons, and cars. They came across skis for Model T cars.

Evidently, in the winter months when the countryside was snowbound, the front tires of a Model T could be removed and replaced with modified skis fashioned out of caste-iron. The car-skis were popular for mail deliverers and doctors.

Now, I wonder if early Packards could be equipped with car-skis.

As always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/6/5 19:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Skis for cars?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
EDITED.

Sure, most any car could be so-equipped. There are a number of vintage photos of Packards with skis, not so uncommon in Scandinavia and Russia with special after-market devices. I believe this photo is of one of Czar Nicholas' fleet of Packards; the caption says Twin Six but I think it may actually be a "48". This one also has a kind of half-track conversion kit.

Attach file:

jpg  (192.87 KB)
177_5754e8b94639c.jpg 1920X1361 px

Posted on: 2016/6/5 20:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Skis for cars?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I believe this photo is of one of Czar Nicholas' fleet of Packards...

Yes, it is one of the cars of the Russian Czar or better, it was. The photo shows the moment of expropriation.

Quote:
...with special after-market devices

It is a clip-on system "K?gresse", developed by the French engineer Adolphe K?gresse, who worked at court of Nicholas II. Later he went back to his home country and sold the Patent to Citro?n.

<iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VSO1BIAR5vw?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sources
video clip: Citro?n
pic: Schweizerisches Bundesarchiv, CH-BAR#E27#1000/721#14095#5595* / CC-BY-SA 3.0/CH (open source)
Click to enlarge!
PM me your e-mail address to get a high resolution pic.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.99 KB)
757_575e3a07dbd3c.jpg 1024X729 px

Posted on: 2016/6/12 23:32
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved