Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 221

Kevinanderson, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing distributor drive from 1936 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dean
See User information
I have removed the cylinder block and striped the crank case of everything but the camshaft and distributor drive during my 384.8 rebuild. My problem is the camshaft and distributor drive are stuck. I will probably have to oven heat the aluminum crankcase to expand it to free the cam shaft. My questions are:
1. How does the distributer gear come out? It looks like there is a bushing below the cylinder block which retains it. Does the bushing screw out or is it a press fit to the aluminum crankcase?
2. Does the distributer drive gear have to be removed to remove the camshaft? (The motors manual does not mention that it has to be removed.)

Thanks for your expertise.

Posted on: 2016/6/17 20:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing distributor drive from 1936 Super 8
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dean
See User information
??

Posted on: 2016/6/20 16:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You have removed the oil pump, right?

Posted on: 2016/6/20 17:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dean
See User information
Yes, every thing is out of the crankcase but the cam and distributor drive gear.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 19:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Soak the thing liberally with Gumout then carefully tap the bottom side of the distributor gear with a bronze drift. This will push the drive housing out of the crankcase.

Usually they get frozen due to varnish.

The cam bearings are probably stuck as well so take your time. The rear cam bearing should be removed using using the drift method as well.

Note as well there are timing marks on those gears that need to matched during assembly. I used liquid paper to make things easier.

Posted on: 2016/6/21 18:45
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dean
See User information
My crankcase has more corrosion than varnish. Thanks for letting me know how the gear is retained in the crankcase.

Dean

Posted on: 2016/6/23 17:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved