Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

todd landis, James Russell Packard the, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Battery
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
I wanted to have a general consensus on what is usually done in regards to cars in the US which have been converted from a 6v system to a 12v system.

My question comes not for the basic Electricals which is easy and done using a MORDERN battery . Fitted an alternator and also a fuel pump as a back up. To fight the Indian Sub continent heat we fitted a spare fan also. Got a new fuse box and relays done for safety

But do you get or is there anyway to still keep the long battery on the 12 v system. Anyone which still manufacture them today. I would like to get it retro fitted . Keeps a more pure look in the engine bay

Thank you in advance for the help

Posted on: 2016/7/4 13:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know of any readily available at the parts store long 12v batteries that would fit the bottom tray designed around the group 2E battery which is around 19 1/2 x 4 1/4. There are commercial batteries about the same length but are much wider.

An interesting approach by a poster at PAC using two 6v Optima batteries which should be readily available everywhere would work.http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2251&start=380#p18945 He built a custom hold down which mounts to the original tray to hold two Optimas sitting on the tray. While he is running his batteries in parallel keeping 6v, he does mention the option of placing them in series for 12v. If you wanted to carry the disguise farther some black textured ABS or other suitable sheet plastic could be formed to mimic the square case of the long battery and hide the round battery sides.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Group 3EE is virtually identical in all dimensions to the 2E. Cadillac used the 2E in 50-53, then 3EE in 53 as I recall. 3EE is readily available from specialty antique battery suppliers in the US

Posted on: 2016/7/4 20:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is good information and thanks for correcting my post. I hadn't realized Cadillac used the long battery when they went to 12v. Napa carries the 3EE so maybe it is available elsewhere in the states without too much difficulty. Not sure how common it would be in India.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved