Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 220

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct Plug Wire ends
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
On a 1951 327 engine what should the plug end of the wire set be. Straight or 90 degrees? Also I see on ebay a seller with Packard 440 ignition wire for sale. Is this wire correct for the 51?

Thanks, Bob

Posted on: 2008/11/19 23:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct Plug Wire ends
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pictures of the 24th series engine in the shop manual show straight metal connectors and no rubber boots at the plug, but of course there are boots at the distributor cap and on both ends of the high tension coil wire.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 23:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I believe Rubber boots on the plug end were available since the late 40s. I'm not sure Packard used them though. Maybe someone else on here knows for sure.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 23:50
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I dont have the PI Engine Judging guide in front on me, but I believe the rubber plug side boots where not used by the factory until 1953 (26th Series). So it should just be a straight terminal with no boot.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 12:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, I don't have the PI guide, but your understanding (straight connector, no boot at the plug) is the same as mine.

A bit of a discussion between our correspondents on how one verifies such details might be interesting. I always put factory photos taken on the assembly line or at dealer's showrooms as prima-facie evidence but unfortunately such pictures can be few and far between. I'd rank older photos of truly unrestored and unmolested cars as second, but in the case of ignition wires and the like that's not of much use as they would have most likely been changed during the car's life. Thirdly I'd use pictures and information from the parts manual, though with the illustrations we have to realize that they may have been taken before the cars actually went into production and thus may not represent actual production practice. Illustrations in shop manuals likewise have the same shortcoming. Dead last would be pictures in sales literature, again for the reason that it may include "display" engines, and even if not, was designed for visual impact and not for accuracy.

Other thoughts?

Posted on: 2008/11/20 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The PI judging guide says no spark plug boots until 53.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 20:48
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved