Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 168

casey rog, Ozstatman, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Roof Material
Just popping in
Just popping in

Pierre Lemieux
See User information
What is the material used on top of the roof on my 38 Super 8 1603. Is it vinyl? I need to replace it and need to know what I am asking for. Thanks

Pierre Lemieux

Posted on: 2008/11/23 16:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Roof Material
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not vinyl, vinyl was a post-WW II development. It's a rubberized cloth material and still available as the original type material in several styles and patterns from places like Restoration Specialties or Restoration Supply.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC the trade name or popular reference for the top insert was Rubberoid. Maybe do a google search on that name.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 22:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I'm not sure who the current sources are, but they are definitely out there. Hirsch? Lebaron Bonney? I seem to recall it being referred to as "long grain vinyl" available in only 2 or maybe 3 different grain patterns. Common, if not universal, amongst most cars up to 39ish.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 23:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Found two styles (long and short grain) on page 105 of Restoration Supply Co's catalog. It's an older catalog, may be on a different page of the current catalog. The long grain material is a match for the original material on my 34 Eight sedan.

Posted on: 2008/11/23 23:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Pierre Lemieux
See User information
I have the catalog and see what you talking about. So do you think the long grain is correct for my 38 1603??

Posted on: 2008/11/25 10:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wish I could say for sure, but I can't. Only conclusive way to know is to check against an original car but with them dissappearing so rapidly in favor of restorations, that's going to be difficult. Isn't there even a fragment or your original to check against? If not, knowing that Packard generally changed things rather slowly, I'd say there was a good chance they were using the same type material in 1938 as they used in 1934, but that's just an assumption.

Posted on: 2008/11/25 10:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved