Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 167

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Dashboard wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
I always wanted an authentic radio for my 50 Packard Deluxe. I finally found one in a junk yard and was installing it in my car when a pinging like sound every few seconds started back behind the dash somewhere. (Every time it pinged while the headlights were on, the lights flickered). I was as careful as I could be, but know I bumped a few things behind the dash during the install. I also saw numerous places where bare wire was showing through cracks in the insulation. Clearly, a new wiring harness is needed, but in the meantime, what does that pinging sound mean? For now, I've disconnected the battery until I can fix the problem.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 2:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Dashboard wiring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I would check the turn signal flasher relay. A round aluminum cyl about the size of half a roll of quarters. They make a ticking or pinging sound that I'm sure you are familiar with....Or, since you say your headlights are blinking, it might be the headlight circuit breaker tripping and then turning back on. If some wire from the headlight switch and associated wires is shorted out to ground that might be tripping that circuit breaker.

Yeah, old wires...If you're not going to put in a whole new harness which is a lot of money or time, you will have to look at replacing wires one by one where they are bare, or at least using tape or something to insulate things from shorting out.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 6:36
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The pinging sound is most likely a circuit breaker opening. They are self resetting and if a short is sensed it cuts off and then resets in a second or two. It will keep that up until the short is fixed or the breaker fails. One breaker is located at the end of the headlight switch and another one (or two) is on the back of the instrument cluster. If it does it with the key off it is most likely the headlight breaker. If the key has to be on then the accessory breaker on the cluster. Depending on what was bumped you may find the problem quickly but if the insulation in the loom is cracked and a piece flaked off it could be a daunting task to find. Where did you connect the power for the radio? If that was hooked to something fed by the breaker the radio could be pulling too much current.

Here are a couple of photos taken by BDeB showing what to look for and locations. A 49-50 cluster is shown. Earlier clusters will have the breaker in the area above the clock.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.74 KB)
209_582b208365dde.jpg 1281X619 px

jpg  (134.38 KB)
209_582b208d47b03.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/11/15 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There's such a thing as spray on or brush on liquid tape (clear and black). It's a rubber version of plasti-dip. If the wires aren't broken or corroded just the old cloth insulation cracked/separated, you can "touch up" those bad areas until you can do the whole harness. But would be messy under the dash so you'd have to be careful and mask/spray shield or use the brush on kind.
I wouldn't think it would be effective if alot of insulation is off, but if it's just a few cracked places and you want to keep driving and prevent shorts it's a inexpensive option.
It's used primarily in place of shrink tubing where it's not possible to get on.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
The paint on insulation sounds like just the ticket until I can replace the harness. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks for the response. Are replacement connectors (the little bullet shaped tips) available anywhere? I'd probably need a crimping tool for them, too.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many parts stores carry a crimp on style bullet connector -- both male and female -- in small 5 or 10 packs. The male shape is just a tiny bit different than the original but still works well in the original switch female side. Most Packard connectors will use the .156 size and since most 6v wiring is 14 or 16 gauge you would use the blue most often.

Crimper tools are also available at various price points. Amazon has some as do many parts and hardware stores. Get a decent quality item. Some of them are so poorly constructed they will not make a proper crimp which can cause a lot of issues down the road. For increased reliability I generally take the plastic off and solder directly to the terminal but that may not be an easy option when working behind the dash.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.37 KB)
209_5830aa6eb6188.jpg 680X228 px

Posted on: 2016/11/19 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes get a good tool like this one.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (15.30 KB)
1003_583101d44bf1e.jpg 500X576 px

Posted on: 2016/11/19 20:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
That's great help. thanks!

Posted on: 2016/11/20 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
Thanks for the tip.

Posted on: 2016/11/20 0:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved