Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 1608 Kellner Torpedo Cabriolet
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Over the holiday, I got to thinking about an unusual pre-war custom coachwork Packard. Here are the results of my efforts.

Attached are photos of the 1938 Packard 1608 Kellner Torpedo-Cabriolet currently being exhibited at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, California. It is interesting because the body is from a mid-1930s Renault Suprastella Torpedo by Kellner of Paris, France.

The story goes the owner felt the need for a new automobile as her Renault was beginning to show its age. However, she had become fond of the Renault's body and interior, and did not want to part with them. She satisfied both needs by having the Renault body and the Packard chassis married. The Packard photos do not do justice to the wrap around green house of the passenger compartment. There are windows with narrow frames on the front and sides. The photo of a Renault similar to the donor car show this feature better. This design does not provide the most privacy. The interior is gorgeous, with brocade fabric and burled wood for the hard surfaces. The interior of the exterior mounted trunk is also finished with the same material as the passenger compartment.

A Rene Lalique "Vicorie" radiator grill ornament is a stunning feature. I have not seen this Packard featured in any of the books I have read covering the marque. The big Renault is not widely known.

Enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.23 KB)
565_49556fa72f0df.jpg 208X166 px

jpg  (6.02 KB)
565_49556fbc47e77.jpg 208X166 px

jpg  (4.57 KB)
565_49556fd4ba78e.jpg 208X166 px

jpg  (4.90 KB)
565_49556fe6d07a8.jpg 208X166 px

jpg  (15.88 KB)
565_49556ffdbc520.jpg 439X273 px

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 1608 Kellner Torpedo Cabriolet
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for posting. I too have a keen interest in the prewar customs and have posted more than a few here, the last being a 1939 Su8 Franay. I've only seen one or two of the large Renaults, the last at Draggones in CT undergoing restoration some years back, forget for the moment who it was built for. Your comments remind me of two photos I've posted here recently, both new Packard chassis where the owner didn't want to part with the older coachwork. One was the Hutton Brewster from an older R-R mounted on a 35 or 35 Packard Twelve, and the other was the better known 1917 Pierce Arrow coachwork mounted on a 1937 Twelve chassis. Both these cars still exist. I think I posted these photos individually, though they are also in some thread we had going, don't recall which one.

EDIT: Just remembered who the large Renault was built for that was being restored at Dragonnes, Coco Chanel.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 19:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a personal opinion, I admire the Lalique as pieces of art but think they look absolutely garish on cars.

Posted on: 2008/12/26 23:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't know about garish, as I'd like to have this one for the Speedster: Vitesse

Posted on: 2008/12/27 2:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

vijay
See User information
This car is most beautiful because it is oldest car

Posted on: 2008/12/27 2:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
आपका स्वागत है Packardinfo.com विजय के लिए! यह एक व्यक्ति हिंदु से अपनी परिचित करने के लिए एक खुशी की बात है!

Posted on: 2008/12/27 3:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Owen, I believe that it was your posting of the two rebodied Packards that got my idle mind to thinking about the Packard-Renault. Just another example of how this website is valuable for the exchange of information. We are fortunate to have it available to us. Thanks BigKev and to all who contribute. Happy New Year!

Posted on: 2008/12/27 11:36
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Edit: The Renault is a Reinstella, not a Suprastella. Apologies.

Posted on: 2008/12/27 11:55
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
"Gordy" Hormel used to own the Renault/Packard before selling to Harrah (along with a 1934 LeBaron boattail speedster --- the one that is now currently blue). Hormel was heir to the meat-packing fortune in southern Minnesota, and was a car fanatic.

Recently, within the past year I believe, a whole cache of vintage cars were pulled out of a barn in the east. Featured in Old Cars Weekly if I remember correctly. One of the cars was a Reanault with this same body. Does anyone remember the story?

Posted on: 2008/12/27 13:37
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm with Owen on the garishness of most Laliques. The two nudes are okay, in my opinion, because they're not so huge, but the eagles head, rooster and the one on this Kellner Packard are just too large.

Posted on: 2008/12/27 13:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved