Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

Mr.D, Nevada56Hudson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

No title
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Do all V-8 oil filters leak? I have tried repeatedly to stop the leak on both the inlet and outlet tubes On a 1955 Packard V-8 to no avail. I have since ordered a new set of premade tubes from classic tubes hoping that this will correct the situation but that remains to be seen. So if there are any wise wizards out there that have a solution for leaking oil filters. I would really love to hear it.

While getting my 55 352 and cubic inch V-8 running for the first time in 40 years and getting it up to temperature, In addition to the oil leaks, There was a puddle of water on the floor. I couldn't determine where it came from. Initially, after some , time, I noticed discoloration on the driver side cylinder head just above the central exhaust port, photo attached. I hope this is not a common occurrence with this engine. Previously I acquired a 32 0 cubic inch V-8 that was installed in a Hudson. Looking at the specs in the Packard repair manual. It appears that these heads are interchangeable. Hopefully this will be true. This also remains to be seen.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 10:49
 Top  Print   

Re: No title
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With correct fittings in good condition and properly-made flares, you should have zero leaks on your oil filter lines.

Do the Hudson and Packard heads have the same casting number?

Posted on: 2017/10/11 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The heads are interchangeable but there was a change between early and late 55 heads. One had machined combustion chambers and the other was cast. I don't know how well the engine would run with a mismatched pair. There were also different rocker arrangements early vs late. The fitting for the oil filter on one and a plug on the other will need to be appropriate for each side. The heater outlet and temp sender are on brackets that interchange but are side specific if you have an Ultramatic..

Unless water is leaking from a head gasket there is nothing on top except the thermostat housing. Those are extremely prone to rusting thru under the hose letting water leak and can also pit and leak on the flat side bolted to the manifold. I would examine that area very carefully and verify water is not leaking there and running down the top of the engine along the lifter cover and block joint.

If the puddle was located on the passenger side another notorious spot is a leaking heater control valve. There is a rubber seal which cracks and lets water run under the dash pad and carpet then drip out the body bolt opening on the passenger side floor. Another possibility is the heater outlet or temp sender at the rear of the heads. Each of the brackets that hold those items has a gasket to the head that if disturbed can leak.

On the oil filter, it is possible the sealing seat on the brass fittings has been damaged by over tightening. I would pick up a couple of new ones at the hardware or parts store to install along with your new tubing. It is a common fitting and a good store should carry them. IIRC, they are 1/8 pipe x 1/4" inverted flare.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 11:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Yes they do. Casting dates a couple months apart. I hope to get both off in the next few days.

Happy

Posted on: 2017/10/11 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
One thing nobody seems to check for (and not mentioned here). What I have found in the past to be a culprit in odd water/coolant leaks is freeze plug leaks.

I bought a 1955 Caribbean back in the 1970s and when I first discovered repeated losses of coolant, I began to occasionally notice puddles under the car. After repeatedly checking all hoses, radiator, water valves, heater, etc. I got busy. After doing a re-fill and running the car on the freeway, I put the Caribbean on a hoist and did an underside inspection. By this time, the coolant leak was like rain under the car.

Turned out that freeze plugs on the engine block were going bad and two were rusted through. Once the engine was sufficiently warmed up, the leaks got worse. Solution was to pull the rusted plugs and install new ones. Problem solved.

Posted on: 2017/10/13 22:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved