Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Detecting a short in my '37 120C
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hello. As I was attaching me new wiring harness to my '37 120C,, I was doing it one bit at at time. I had the generator and voltage regulator hooked up along with the starter solenoid. I connected the battery to see if anything might be amiss and all appeared well. after disconnecting the battery, I connected the ammeter over to the ignition switch as shown in the diagram I received from the company who made the harness. When I then connected the battery, smoke appeared from the dashboard and by the time I was able to disconnect the battery, I had completely fried the line from the ammeter to the ignition switch. I took my voltmeter and determined that there was live current from both sides of the ammeter. Do you know if that would indicate a short in the ammeter, or should I be looking somewhere else? There is definitely a short in there somewhere, but all of my information that I have on detecting shorts only works on modern cars based checking the amp draw based on fuses.
Thanks as usual for any information you might be able to give.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 9:16
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Detecting a short in my '37 120C
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The ammeter is a "pass thru", you should be live at both sides. Perhaps a short in the ignition switch? Or if there are further connections from the switch, then perhaps a short there.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 10:05
 Top  Print   

Re: Detecting a short in my '37 120C
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. I was wondering about that for my ammeter is live on both sides. I just had the ignition switch reworked, but I'll see about detecting a short there. I know I do have good current when the switch is turned off and nothing when it is turned on, so that does remain an enigma to me.
Thanks, again.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 10:51
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved