Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 161

53 Cavalier, Alvin14, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheel details for 1939 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I know the 39 Packard care with 16" wheels and believe the bolt pattern is 5-5. Would like to confirm width for the 110 series and backspacing since prior owner swapped 15" wheels.
As an aside I have seen some prior postings about whether the artillery wheels were offered in 1939.
I have checked with Coker and Summit about replacement wheels but they currently offer the artillery wheels in only 15" and 17"
Coker suggests the 15" since more tire options are available.
Would like to know if anyone is aware of a supplier of 16" replacement wheels....preferably artillery.
Thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2018/10/27 20:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel details for 1939 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi RJR,

The width is 6.50 (verifiable in the model info) and I'm not sure of the backspacing. That tire size (6.50 X 16") IS a little difficult to find in the classic tire offerings of most tire suppliers, although Coker does supply it.
When I bought mine and had them installed, I discovered a bent wheel when balancing, and tried switching it with one of two extra wheels that came with the car. It was bent too. I looked around up here in Canada and could not find any replacement rims. One thing to note is that, if you are going to use 'correct' hubcaps, the rims must have the center clips to receive them. Of my two spare wheels, only one had the clips, so the other was unusable for me, straight or not.
I went looking for a wheel outfit in possession of a wheel-straightening machine and gave them my bent rims and they were able to render them true and balance-able. If you do find a source for correct wheels, my guess is there would be a lot of owners who would be interested, I know I would be.
I will be getting my hands on my two repaired rims in the next couple of weeks and I will measure the backspacing for you, should you still it. Good luck! Chris

Posted on: 2018/10/28 13:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Wheel rim width is 4.50 inches, not 6.50
See part #324640 in the 1935-41 parts list for the standard rim used on chassis model 1700

Posted on: 2018/10/28 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
A small correction: your car is a 1939 SIX as the 110 designation was not used until 1940.

Posted on: 2018/10/28 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for the correction, Don - I was thinking of the tread width - I should know better! Chris

Posted on: 2018/10/28 16:22
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved