Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Ozstatman, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

52 Clipper: Need help getting a door open
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
On a club tour last weekend, one of our members couldn't get the drivers door to open on his 52 Clipper. The inside handle operates and will push up the door lock button but the door latch will not release. The outside button can be depressed but will not release the door latch.

Anyone have any idea how to get the door open?

I suggested that he remove the window trim, which I think can be done with the door in the closed position, and see if he can access the latch mechanism but I don't know if this will work.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 21:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 52 Clipper: Need help getting a door open
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Once many decades ago while working on various cars at my old storage yard, when it was time to go home I realized I had locked the keys inside the car I drove there, my 1954 Patrician. Fortunately the storage area was shared by a repossesser who had it open faster than if I had used the key, using a slim-Jim, I believe it was called. Any mobile locksmith should have one and can open it.

Posted on: 2019/4/28 22:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the 51-55 cars with the cast strikers, a pronounced hollow spot will wear on the two teeth of the strikers. Eventually it will get so the rotary latch will not roll out of the deformed teeth when conditions are unfavorable. Sometimes it will require pushing down or pulling up on the door while attempting to release. And sometimes a sharp shoulder blow from inside the car while holding the handle. Then replace the striker. Otherwise, those latches never give trouble unlike some of the earlier ones,.

Posted on: 2019/4/29 6:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Thanks for the replies. I have passed this info on to my friend and will update when I find out if anything worked.

Posted on: 2019/5/9 18:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved