Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

High Oil Pressure...HELP
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
I finally got my 352 built up and installed in car last weekend,I've got a project blog on here,but wanted to direct this issue to the engine experts!!I Got it running earlier this week,and have been chasing down and correcting Fuel,Timing,and ignition issues,I've finally got most of that ironed out and have car running pretty well!!I have one major issue,I have extremely high oil pressure,I have destroyed 3 gauge's(Thankfully Oreiley's keep replacing them LOL)The pressure goes up past 100 PSI!I feel pretty sure I have a pressure relief valve stuck,I figured after i ran engine a little It may free up,(no such luck)!I tried blowing compressed air through the oil galleries where oil filt. plumb's in,still no luck!! I also have some top end lifter clack(not too bad),probablly just the norm. for these engines.I just wanted to see if anyone had any idea's on this oil pressure problem,and If it is relief valve,how to get it unstuck?Should I just go ahead and pull the pan?Is pump salvageable? Is the relief valve serviceable? This Is a fully rebuilt 352 for a 1955 clipper custom!It was rebuilt 27 years ago and never used,it had been stored in a garage and Hasn't ran until I started it this week! I pulled oil pan and inspected everything before I started building motor up,everything looked great! I also blew compressed air and solvent through oil pump,oil galleries and ETC,before install!Any help would be appreciated! Also does anyone know what line hooks up to the nipple fitting coming out of the back of the carb.,not the brake hose but the one that tee's into the side of the fitting on pass. side of car?? Does anyone have a vaccum schematic for this car?? Thanks to all!!

Posted on: 2009/2/12 20:47
 Top  Print   

Re: High Oil Pressure...HELP
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Will let the engine guys chime in on the oil, but not much vacuum tubing in a 55 so sounds like that might be one of the vacuum sources for WS wiper. The base of carb should have a steel tubing to dist, the power brake and one of WS wiper sources. The other wiper source should be from a fitting on passenger side of block just above oil pan.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.66 KB)
209_4994d67db9cfa.jpg 569X500 px

Posted on: 2009/2/12 21:11
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Thankyou for the schematic!!

Posted on: 2009/2/12 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Sounds like a stuck pressure relief valve to me.

BUT, i am curious, u mention o'rily gauge. Where is the feed line connected to the engine?????? I assume this is a MECHANICAL gauge and NOT electric gauge.

Posted on: 2009/2/12 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You mentioned the vacuum fitting tees into the one on pass side of car. If you meant the carb fitting and the one on block are actually connected, that shouldn't be. The balancing valve is supposed to be the only connection between the two sources and will cut off one or balance inputs so the wiper motor has the strongest vacuum all the time.

Posted on: 2009/2/12 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
High oil pressure on a Packard V8 - will wonders never cease? The only possible cause is a stuck pressure release valve in the oil pump. Probably all those years of sitting caused the assembly lubricant to turn to stone. Since you've already pulled the pan, drop the oil pump, put it on the bench, disassemble it and clean the pressure release valve inside the pump body. Let us know what you find.

As an aside, if you have noisy lifters with over 100# of oil pressure, you've got another potentially serious problem in that area.

Good luck, jack vines.

Posted on: 2009/2/12 23:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

55clippercustom
See User information
Packard V8:,It is a mechanical gauge,connected where the oil pressure switch normally goes!! HH56: Do not have those 2 connected directly,I just have a empty spot for line going in to the side of the rear carb. fitting,based on the schematic on here,Im thinking one of the two side by side vacum hose's on the firewall go there!! Jack Vines: Ha ha,I knew somebody would say something about the HIGH OIL PRESSURE,wouldn't you know I have to be different...LOL!!!When I described It as a little lifter noise,It's not really lifter's It sounds more like just some rocker arm chatter,Im just not use to hearing quite that much with more modern V8's!Im hoping,once I get this Oil Pressure straightened out,and I can run it a little more,It will smooth out!! Keep in mind this engine has ran very little!I do not have oil pan off,engine is installed in the car,I was hoping It would unstick on it's on,but It appears I will be pulling the oil pan!! Thanks!!

Posted on: 2009/2/13 7:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Remove the oil pump. Get u're digital camera batteries charged up. We will need some pics. THere are oil pump variations that we need to keep in mind. There are 2wo different PR valve pistons and springs. Most likely the problem is as Jack stated, a varnished up pump. In this case using snake oils to free it up is probably not advisable.

As for the "lifter clatter" or "rocker clatter" lets address that problem after u get the pump streightened out.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NO!, ,Wait a minute!!!! Lets try something first.

Remove a valve cover, the easy one to remove is the left one. RUN the engine with the valve cover removed and pay close attention to how much oil exudes from the rocker shafts. Is it running completely dry?????

IS this a 55 engine or a 56 engine????? Note that EARLY 55 engines have rocker arms with pee holes. Mid to late 56 had no pee holes.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BTW, the Packard V8 engine in good condition should run just as quiet as any modern V8.

Posted on: 2009/2/13 8:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved