Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1951 wonderbar radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I couldn't resist the buy it now offer for a wonderbar radio newly listed on ebay. I looked in the 51 accessory catalog and it does list the wonderbar option. My question is would this be an option for a 300 or was it only offered on the 400/Patrician?

Have to go through my old SAMS books and see if I have the service manual for this one. It will no doubt not be in working condition.

BTW One of the first jobs I had after graduating high school in 1965 was in a television repair shop. They gave me all the small things they didn't want to take the time for so I got all the tape recorders,HiFi, and all the car radios. I sure remember the problem mechanical vibrators that were always much of the problem. When I rebuilt the radio in my 300 I found a site that sold solid state replacements for the old vibrators. I highly recommend replacing with the solid state one. Mine has been working well for 3 years now. Don't forget to also replace the damper cap along with the vibrator.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 12:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 wonderbar radio
Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Bob, this is off your topic, but you seem to have access to original option books. I would like to know the interior color choices in '52 (or '53) that corresponded with the exterior colors. I have a '52 Mayfair with the red leather/ivory nylon interior. When I repaint, I want to change the exterior color to a correct blue and I would like to know if I'm still correct with the red/ivory interior. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2009/3/5 18:38
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The Wonderbar is an awesome radio! Friend of mine had one in a 1953 Buick and couldn't get over how great it sounded. Also it would pull in stations from 1000 miles farther than the one in his new Chev pickup, no kidding.

I bet you could get that radio in any Packard even the cheapest 200 coupe. That's the way Packard did things back then.

Somewhere around here I have an old 1963 Electronics magazine with plans for a transistor vibrator substitute. You could build it for about $5 worth of parts. Maybe if you browse around the net (Google) someone has posted the plans.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 18:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've always thought it curious that Packard apparently offered the Wonderbar radio a year or so before Cadillac, yet the radio is a GM product. Do I have this correct?

Posted on: 2009/3/5 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Bob, this is off your topic, but you seem to have access to original option books

I'm sorry I can't help you. I looked up the 1951 accessory booklet on this website. I don't have much information myself. I'm sure there are many people here that will help you with what you're looking for.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings Friends the wonder bar radio was an option and could be had on any model as I have on on my 250 Mayfair, however it was not cheap $149.00,I have a vacuum antenna that goes up like 5 ft and that is why you can get so many stations.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Somewhere around here I have an old 1963 Electronics magazine with plans for a transistor vibrator substitute. You could build it for about $5 worth of parts. Maybe if you browse around the net (Google) someone has posted the plans

In the old days I would have gone the rout of building my own solid state vibrator but now there is too much to do and too little time.

I found the website that I bought a solid state vibrator from. What is nice about them is they are completely plug and play. They even look exactly like an original mechanical one. Here is the link to the web site,

http://www.radiodaze.com/auto_vibrator-FAQ.htm

Good reading.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
I've always thought it curious that Packard apparently offered the Wonderbar radio a year or so before Cadillac, yet the radio is a GM product. Do I have this correct?

You are right, Delco did make the radios for Packard at least from 1951 and up. Probably started much before that. I don't know when Packard first offered the Wonder Bar radio but it was at least as far back as 1951. As far as GM goes my mom's 1950 Cadillac came with one. I remember that you could push a button on the floor to get the radio to seek the next station as well as the bar on the radio itself.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Bab, what color interior is in your blue '51?

Posted on: 2009/3/5 22:17
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Was there more than one version? I seem to recall one that had only the auto & knob tuning or did they all have buttons as well? I think I remember seeing something that only had a large bar.

On page 559 of the AQ Packard book, it talks of the radio and Nance's desire & idea for one that had 3 way tuning. According to the book, he took the idea to Delco to build & found they already had one about ready so he asked for it. By asking for it, he got it 5-6 months before Cadillac.

Posted on: 2009/3/5 23:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved