Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

Caribbeandude, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

newby
Just popping in
Just popping in

herbie
See User information
Hello , i am from south africa and is planning to build a vintage racecar using the straight eight motor. Any advice will be appreciated. I can get my hands on 4-5 engines , what to look for ?

Posted on: 2021/2/23 4:29
 Top  Print   

Re: newby
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
That's a big question. I am not a mechanic, but here are some basics.
1. Assuming the available engines are Packard engines, what year is each and how many cubic inches is each? Assuming 1940 - 1954, at least, new parts are available for all these 8 cyl. engines.
2. Does it run?
3. How many miles are on each engine?
4. Any water drops on the oil stick?
5. Clean around each spark plug, remove it and note its condition for each cylinder…oil, carbon, ash?
6. Does the engine turn over? With all the plugs removed, do and note a compression or air leak from a leak-down test on each cylinder.
7. Price.

Posted on: 2021/2/23 11:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also, if you are looking at Packard engines I would take it a bit farther and suggest you focus on the 288/327 5 main bearing engines made between 1948 and 1954. Those engines were almost unchanged that entire period and parts are fairly easy to find.

Prior to 48 the 282 block was the lower end eight and even though it was made from the mid 30s until 47 the parts might be a bit harder to source. The 356 engine made from 40-50 was Packards top of the line 9 main bearing large block eight and due to the way the crankshaft is constructed it is somewhat harder and much more expensive to have any machining work done when you need new bearings. The parts might also be harder to find and are starting to get expensive.

In 1951-1953 the 327 engine was available in both a 5 and a 9 main bearing block. The 9 main was for use in the higher end models and would be stronger than the 5 main. In 54 the 9 main 327 engine was bored and stroked to make it a 359. That was a one year only engine and fairly low production. The aluminum head used that year and some inner parts are unique to that engine and very hard to find.

If you are looking at other inline 8 engines, Buick and Pontiac used inline 8s thru 53 or 54 and probably made 10 or 20 of those engines to Packards one. Being GM brands parts for those engines might be easier to source overseas. Chrysler is another mfg that had an inline thru 1950

Posted on: 2021/2/23 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information

Posted on: 2021/2/23 15:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved