Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

37Blanche, Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

gas tank/sending unit size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I just bought a new sending unit from Max Merritt. It is too long for the tank in my 1937 138CD (should be 20 gallon tank).

The new unit is 8.25 in long and my old sending unit is about 6.5in long.

The best I can measure the tank is 36x20x6.5 which translates to 20.25 gallons.

Max Merritt has indicated that they have sold other units for 1937 120s that are the same as what they sent me with no complaints or returns. They also sent me dimensions of the sending unit they sell for 115Cs which seem to match my old unit.

So...do I have a 120 tank or a 115 tank?

What are the dimensions of the 120 and 115C tanks?

Right now, it looks like I need to get what Max Merritt sells for the 115 tank and call it good. I don't know that I need to replace my tank as it is in excellent condition.

As far as I know, the tank has never been replaced. At least not in the time since my dad bought the car in 1960. I think it's unlikely that the tank was replaced prior to that.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_8216.jpeg (220.12 KB)
225755_650ca02823212.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  IMG_8214.jpeg (293.33 KB)
225755_650ca044c0885.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2023/9/21 14:57
 Top  Print   

Re: gas tank/sending unit size
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
Had the same issues on my 1940 120. 21gal original, 18gal replacement. I just bent my pickup tube a little bit more. Yours looks like it needs bent and cut a little off.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the resistance section movable on the support? If so, possibly that could slide up a bit and you can cut off the inch and a half and still adjust the rod and float for full and empty. Cut or bend the excess tube length.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
The float portion is adjustable, but not enough. Only about a half inch. I could make it work if absolutely necessary. But, I would have to cut the tube and bend the tube carefully.

I’ll be better off just getting the version for the 115C which seems to match the depth of my tank.

I’m really just trying to figure out if I have the correct tank. I won’t replace it regardless since it is in great condition. Really just want to know what I have.

Chris at Max Merritt has been great to work with. I’ll talk with him tomorrow about getting the other version.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Quote:

fourbybud wrote:
Had the same issues on my 1940 120. 21gal original, 18gal replacement. I just bent my pickup tube a little bit more. Yours looks like it needs bent and cut a little off.

Interesting…was the replacement from Max Merritt?

Posted on: 2023/9/21 19:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

fourbybud
See User information
Yes from Max Merrit. Chris has been awesome to work with.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 19:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved