Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

Craig the Clipper Man, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

body to frame spacers 1941 110 conv
Just popping in
Just popping in

imacd
See User information
before i can attach the body to the frame i need the thickness of the spacers from front to back.. the spacers i am concerned about are the ones between the frame and the body . i can get the ones above the body and below the frame

Posted on: 2009/5/24 21:17
 Top  Print   

Re: body to frame spacers 1941 110 conv
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum from another Fresnan.

How the body bolts are assembled and part numbers of cushions/shims starts on page 7 of parts manual body section 30 of the 35-41 parts manual which can be downloaded here:
https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist3541/1935-41_PartsList_Group30_BodyGroups.pdf

and in the utilities section 50 starting on page U27 there are some dimensions & thickness & type material of the various shims:https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist3541/1935-41_PartsList_Group50_Utility.pdf

Posted on: 2009/5/24 21:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

imacd
See User information
i have the parts manual but i can not identify the individual spacers and their thickness front to back

Posted on: 2009/5/24 21:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Will have to let a prewar car guy give a definite answer but if they were assembled like the postwars, there was no set thickness. Believe they all started with a standard amount which maybe someone knows or has a car to check but after that it all depended on the tolerances when the body was built. An amount of shims or cushions of the appropriate thickness was inserted to fill a gap & maybe pull down or push up a certain spot to control anything resulting in improper door/fender gap.

Posted on: 2009/5/24 22:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

imacd
See User information
i understand i can shim to suit as soon as i can find the starting thickness thanks i hope someone with a car like mine will respond

Posted on: 2009/5/24 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of curiosity, do you have any spacers with the car? Looking at the parts manual, there does not seem to be any cushions used which I would expect for a convertible but there are spacers. Part # 337451 & 337453 spacers and steel liners #326495 and 328689 are listed for the 1489 conv coupe body to frame. There may be more but didn't see them on a quick look.

#337451 is 9/16 thick but 453 doesn't show. If they go in order, then 453 would be about 5/8. Liners appear to be 1/16 slotted so probably used as shims and other is 7/16 with a hole. Anyway, maybe that's enough to jog a memory or give someone a clue.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 0:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Generally, convertible bodies are braced to prevent flexing before mounting to the frame, and the spacers individually selected to accomodate slight variations in body and chassis manufacture. Before a convertible body is removed, it must be very thoroughly braced in all directions, and you should make note of the size and location of the shims. If not, you may have body alignment problems, doors especially.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 7:34
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

imacd
See User information
i have square spacers 1/8 and 3/8 thick and round spacers 9/16 and 13/16 thick they all came out in transport as the bolts had been removed by previous owner

Posted on: 2009/5/25 11:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't see too many 110-120 convertibles listed in the owner registry here so a definitive answer may not come too quickly. Have you also posted your question on the AACA Packard forum?http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary (scroll down to domestic makes and models, Packard) Prewar guys seem to hang out over there a bit more so maybe someone will see and be able to help.

If nothing comes in, then maybe you could see if there is any one size that would seem to be a constant. Are the locations at same depth from body--if not is there a combination that would go together to get something reasonably consistent on all the locations that are of same depth.

Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

imacd
See User information
if someone could give me the spacer thickness on the first spacer this would give me a starting point. this is the one at the angle attached to the firewall it can be seen and measured from ehe engine compartment

Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved