Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 198

37Blanche, Packard Don, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1948 Antenna Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
One question, since my antenna's broken and I'd like to remove it, how the #$%^#%$ do you get the antenna knob off? I've removed the set screw in the handle, and can rotate the handle around and around, but I can't get it off. I've put both hands on it, and both feet on the floor, and pulled with all my might, and cannot get it off! Help!!

This is the center antenna above the windshield, BTW.

Posted on: 2009/7/6 23:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Antenna Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Eric, IIRC I've had mine off several times and once the set screw is loosened it simply pulls off but I will check mine again and get right back to you in case I missed something.
I just removed mine and all it took was loosening the set screw. The knob has a brass center.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 8:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Mine must be stuck pretty tight, as I have the set screw completely out and it won't budge. I have one from a Hudson that I want to put in it's place, if I can get this one out.

Incidentally, I learned something about these antenna's before it gave up the ghost, and that is that the antenna will extend by turning the knob even more, and it WILL NOT rotate over to the passenger's side of the car. A Hudson one will go either way, (left or right) and doesn't extend by turning the knob. It was pretty neat right before it broke!

Posted on: 2009/7/7 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Eric,
Is your new Club Sedan a Deluxe? Is it a 48 or 49? If 48 do you know if it is an early car?

I just picked one up yesterday. It is a 49 #11849. I was just wondering about the antenna. Mine has the fender mount build code RV.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:35
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Ereic, I tried mine and the mast doesn't extend with the knob. Must be a '48 modification. I have had it apart and never noticed any mechanism for lifting the mast sections. It only goes up and down one way also however.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there any evidence of a parting line and a cap that can be removed. I remember some knob where a cap either unscrewed or pulled off and a nut was underneath.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 20:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ereic, I tried mine and the mast doesn't extend with the knob. Must be a '48 modification. I have had it apart and never noticed any mechanism for lifting the mast sections.

At least for 22nd-23rd series, the first portion of the knob rotation turns the antenna 180 degrees from down to up; continuing to rotate the knob extends the mast sections if the mechanism is still intact and the masts have no kinks.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 20:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's a '48, Deluxe 8 Model 2211. My antenna was bent a little, I bent it back, it worked about three times going up and down, then the mast broke. I don't see a cap that is removable, but the plastic is so dried and cracked that it's possible, in fact that's the only logical conclusion now.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 22:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

calcustom8
See User information
The knob on mime is held with a 1/16" allen grub screw. Loosen the screw and it would come off. BTW, I had mine working for about the same amount of time as you did before I broke it as well. I looked into some aftermarket antennas but in the end I settled with crimping a 12" solid piece into the body.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 19:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Curiosity about the knob also moving the mast up and down prompted me to take my roof antenna apart. The mast appears to be raised and lowered by a steel ribbon which winds and unwinds on a spool. I took a photo (sorry but not very clear) that shows the guts of the antenna.The steel ribbon has broken hence no movement when kob turned. I imagine finding the part is next to impossible but it would be an interesting feature.

Attach file:

jpg  (64.02 KB)
13_4a554d2cbdf80.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/7/8 20:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved