Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 214

jgrohn, Jim in Boone, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1948 Von Rudolph Custom Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Just received an email blast from Significant Cars in Indiana. I found this car particularly interesting. The description curiously says the supercharger was removed for driveability.

http://significantcars.com/cars/1948packard3/

Here's the text from the ad:

This period custom was conceived and started in 1948 as a prototype with hopes of convincing Packard Management to offer it as an option to high end buyers as they had previously done prior to the War. The project stalled and with the short lived run of the Bathtub design, the car sat unfinished for many years. It has recently been completed to Concours Standards and is ready to hit the show circuit or will be a great cornerstone for any Packard Collection. The car features many unique design ques such as a speedster like windshield and heavily raked cowl reminisent of pre war cars such as Duesenberg and Chrysler Le Baron bodied cars, with the Gold Plated instrument panel deeply cut under the cowl. A rumble seat has been installed with forward tilting lid, which still provides a lot of trunk space. A true Roadster at heart there are no windows. Fully skirted front and rear fenders and custom moldings complete the flowing lines of this stunning creation. Originally fitted with a supercharger, it has been removed for easy drivability, but of course comes with the car. This one off custom is an interesting example of the Post War California Custom Car Movement

I bought one of my 47's from Significant Cars.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 13:07
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Von Rudolph Custom Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
This car was at Citizens Motors (America's Packard Museum) during the Winter Weekend a couple of weeks ago. A very interesting custom that presented well. The rumble seat was a little impracticle and access cumbersome but overall I liked it. I think Carl Schneider is or was the owner.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 13:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
What kind of documentation comes with the car?

Posted on: 2010/3/9 14:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Is that the same Carl Schneider who commissioned the Packard Parisienne and other "ghost" Packards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ELqKx2UcD8

Who is or was Von Rudolph?

I suspect this is another Peter Portugal creation. He is the artist who built Schneider's custom Packards.

http://www.yogazenfitness.com/car/

Nevertheless it is a beautiful Packard with Porsche overtones. In spite of the wheels and side trim and a few other details, I like it. Probably the best looking "bathtub" Packard ever made.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Yes, that's the same Carl Schneider. I spoke with him for a few minutes at dinner. A real gentleman.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Great lines. I alway thought the 23rd series would have benefited from additional choice in body styles. The long deck really helps it's proportions. Maybe a hardtop version would look something like these.

(P.S. the gold dash seems a little to "pimp" for me )

Attach file:

jpg  (48.95 KB)
426_4b972d94bf60e.jpg 1000X286 px

jpg  (47.66 KB)
426_4b972da4c517d.jpg 1000X286 px

Posted on: 2010/3/10 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Any thoughts on why the supercharger was removed for drivability reasons -- other than "it's broken."?

Posted on: 2010/3/10 13:55
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've posted it before and we've had some good discussions about it in the past, but as long as we're on bathtub customs, this one supposedly done by Packard (perhaps subcontracted out to Creative Industries or Henney) has long intrigued me and no harm I guess in posting it again. I suspect it could have been quite a seller if introduced early enough in the bathtub era. This is the only known photo of it that I'm aware of.

UPDATE 3/13/10: From the little more I've been able to find out about this car, it apparently was not contracted for by Packard but was an unsolicited submission by Henney and was completed just as the 23rd series was history and thus Packard expressed no interest in it.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.44 KB)
177_4b97fa5b1410b.jpg 1024X571 px

Posted on: 2010/3/10 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Guscha, thanks for the Jack Vines comment.

I will contact Shawn Miller at Significant Cars to confirm.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 20:56
Don Skotty
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dave, does it have a kind of "mobile pillar

Gusha, I took it to be a true 2-dr hardtop with essentially the same window arrangement as the convertible, but who knows, there is very little known of this car and I'm not aware of anyone who has any first-hand knowledge of it.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 21:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved