Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

James Kallman, Eugene Wescott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Breakerless ignition conversion - ever try it?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
Hello, with the scarcity and antiquation of breaker points ignition parts have any of you ever tried one of those breakerless ignition conversion kits?

if so, how did it work?

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/5/21 5:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Breakerless ignition conversion - ever try it?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Dave. It's true that points for some older Packards are not plentiful, especially the 33/34 dual ignition models, though conversion kits to modern points are available or easily made. Yet I've always considered the people you meet while finding these parts and the learning and maintaining of skills no longer practiced in modern car maintenance to be some of the more pleasant and rewarding parts of our hobby.

Just my personal views and I can understand that they are not for everyone.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
No issue with mine had them on for about 3 years on my 32.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 0:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I don't know what year Packard you have but I purchase Points, Condenser, rotor and Cap for my 48 and 56 Packards at the local NAPA store.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 7:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
I have a Pertronix unit on my 47 Custom 356. It is the first 356 unit that they made as I was the test bed for that unit.

I have driven about 6,000 miles with it and have had no problems and I like the system.

Pros: No maintainance, has the same hot spark every time as there is no resistance in the primary due to dirty points, Seems to run smoother, emphasis on "seems to".

Con: Every electronic device has a threshold voltage above which it works 100% and below which not at all. From my experience the threshold on this device is 4.5v +- about .1v measured at the device.

The electrical system on your car must be in good condition or it will have trouble firing the plugs when ever the starter is turning over slowly and drawing down the voltage.

This said I have had no problems with starting and I trust the system, I have been in some remote places in British Columbia and do not worry about the system.

Do I carry back up, yes but I also carry a fuel pump , hoses, belts, fuel line, etc. as anyone touring a 60+ year old car does when on tour.

John

Posted on: 2010/5/23 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
snopak write:
"Do I carry back up, yes but I also carry a fuel pump , hoses, belts, fuel line, etc. as anyone touring a 60+ year old car does when on tour."

Snopaks policy as stated above is is the most important rule to follow for motoring. And should probably be made the watchword for every discussion group.

However, it has been my experience that most owners of special interest cars rarely carry anykind of back up parts and very few tools if any. Doesn't matter if they know how to use the parts or tools or not or ever use them. It only takes one breakdown to more than pay for the time and trouble and space required to carry the back up.

Posted on: 2010/5/23 13:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I seem to recall to contributing with others some time back to a list of suggested spare parts and supplies to take on tours. Maybe it's time to find it and revive the topic?

Posted on: 2010/5/23 14:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
GTO - it is a 1929 640, i am not having trouble with the ignition system, yet. just trying to find alternatives to expensive repairs down the road. and as we all know "points" ign. systems are not the most reliable. i figure some day all the spare parts will be gone and i want to keep it running for my children and eventual grandchildren if possible.

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/5/26 4:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd not agree that point systems are unreliable, quite the opposite - I'd say they are extremely reliable. Rather I'd find on the negative side that they require some skill to install properly, and require occasional adjustment of both gap and timing during their service life which is typically about 10,000 miles, give or take. Many of us use these older cars rather sparingly, for me a 10,000 miles service life is 10-20 years with maybe one regap and timing somewhere along the way. Twenty years of so down the road I'd rather find a set of points or adapt a set than find a replacement electronic module which may well have been discontinued in the interim.

At the least, use a conversion module that leaves the distributor breaker plate unmodified and easily convertible back to traditional ignition.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 10:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Dave,
Your 29 640 is an easy one, Pacific NW Region, Packards International offers a points conversion for 6th - 9th series North East distributors, It uses a single set of commonly available points and condenser.

If you want electronic ignition they also have a transistor ignition that uses the points to trigger a transistor to energize the coil. This way the points only have a few milliamps of current through them not 3-4 amps and do not burn. It is a small unit, smaller the a pack of cigarettes and is easy to hide.

John

Posted on: 2010/5/26 10:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved