Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

34 1103 squeaky rear springs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
Does anyone have experience of re-greasing the rear springs leaves on the 34,s.
Mine are driving me nuts at the moment, sounds like a badly played kids recorder when you are going along slowly.
On looking at the springs they have metal gaiters which are interlocked together. Is there anyway of taking these apart?
I realise that I might have to remove the springs from the car. Is this a difficult operation?
All help appreciated
Terry

Posted on: 2010/5/31 11:51
 Top  Print   

Re: 34 1103 squeaky rear springs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know how your springs compare to those used on the 120 but there are a couple of articles from 35-6 service letters on how to lube those springs thru the metal straps with a special tool. I can post if the springs are similar enough and would be of any help.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 13:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All 4 leaf springs on your car were wrapped in heavy canvas and then covered with terne-plate gaiters. They don't require greasing because the are automatically lubricated by the Bijur system with oil run-off from the shackle bolts which are pressure oiled by the Bijur.

If the springs are noisy, it's almost certainly because the Bijur is failing to oil the shackle bolts. The steel gaiter sections are unique to each different length and load spring, and crimped on. Should be no reason to remove them unless you've broken a leaf. Are your shackle bolts wet with fresh oil from the Bijur?

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need more info.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You might try a mixture of light oil and graphite if there is a place you can get in with an oil squirt can.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 18:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To steal a phrase from another eloquent correspondent on these pages, if you Bijur is inoperative, it's best to take the "whole patient" approach. Otherwise at some point you'll risk rapid wear of the shackle bolts and spring eye bushings which will in turn lead to the shimmeys and shakes. Or perhaps worse, the shackle bolt may sieze in the bushing and you risk breaking the main spring leaf at the eye.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks guys for all the replies.
Dave the Bijur system is fully functional with nice wet oil drips in all the schackle bolt areas. On getting under the car and the Mrs applying some weight on the running boards and bouncing the car the noise is coming from around what you called the Terne plate gaiters. The back right hand gaiter is a bit rusty and has split in a couple of places and the noise seems to come from this area, and if I look closely I can see some wear movement marks in this area.
HH56 I don't know what the set up is on the 120 but any info will be found useful if only to point other folks into the right direction.
Rusty there is no easy area to get into to allow oil to be injected ito the springs.
Once again thanks to all
Terry
Ps. Dave if you have any other ideas please let me know.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 1:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad to hear the Bijur is working as it should! It's so critical to everything, including proper brake operation. Just a thought, but perhaps the canvas wrapping has deteriorated and what you hear is the noise of the spring leaves working or chaffing against the metal gaiters?

I guess you could consider cutting off the metal gaiters on the offending spring and see if the noise goes away? Years ago I put two used springs on the front of my 34 and they were missing the gaiters and I was too poor to have them recovered, and haven't had the ambition since to remove them and have it done. They stay nicely wet with oil, and silent but accumulate some road dirt which I occasionally brush off - but they've not given me any problems in all these years. But with the gaiters off, you'll have to install some spring leave retainer straps to keep the leaves from spreading - any truck place should have something for this or give you ideas - mine are crimped steel straps with a rubber inner wrap to accomodate the ocasional spreading of the leaves when the springs "relax". I have one on each end, about 10 inches from the eye.

PS - there was a gentleman here in NJ, since passed away, who made up the metal gaiter sections in various sizes. I believe his patterns were bought by Automotive Restorations in NJ. I'd think the metal sections themselves would be easy enough to fabricate from steel sheet, with or even w/o patterns, but I think the rolled and crimped pleat would be a real PITA to form in place.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 7:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From service letters & says 120's. No idea if applicable to yours.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.52 KB)
209_4c0508ffea74d.jpg 528X766 px

jpg  (45.07 KB)
209_4c0509073a4f4.jpg 542X570 px

Posted on: 2010/6/1 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Help much appreciated. Thanks guys
Will update on any further progress or lack of
TC

Posted on: 2010/6/1 13:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved