Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

32 Transmission woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
The 32 transmission that was overhauled is now operating worse than before. Before it would jump out of 4th gear sometimes while going down hill with your foot off the gas. Now it does it anytime you take your foot off the gas while in 4th gear. If you push in the clutch while you let off the gas it doesn't jump out.

Synchros were replaced.

Any ideas?

Also we have some gear clashing sometimes at a stop. Plan to repalce the 90W with 140 weight gear oil.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 22:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 32 Transmission woes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Oh wow. I assume it didn't work right before.

The Packard Senior three speed transmission was a hand crafted affair and, technically speaking, rebuilding it was not an authorized repair. That's because it was a superior unit and the Packard company flatly stated that it should only require a few minor adjustments over the life of the vehicle in the unusual event of a shift quality problem.

But Packard is gone and some of them just have to have service.

I've done a number of these and been cursed out for taking too long to set them up. These were units that were going to blow up otherwise so they had to come apart. However, when you're working with worn out synchronizers and gears nothing goes like the manual says it should. So you have to take some time and understand that this is a process of reaching a compromise. Also, they don't come out very easily given the dozens of bolts, brackets, floorboards and what not that are in the way.

I recently had some parts custom made for a Packard and, low and behold, the adjustments worked just like the manual says they should.

Usually shift quality problems in the Senior Packard transmission is a matter of adjustments that are outlined in the service manual. I'm sure it would be easier given somebody had the genuine Packard tools.

If somebody called up and said they wanted to rebuild a Senior Packard transmission for the heck of it I would try to talk them out of it.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Tim,

The only service manual I have seen is for 6,7 and 8th series though some claims it covers the 9th series. Is there a different service manual available. In the manual I have, not too manay adjustments are indicated.In fact the service manual doesn't have many details at all.

Posted on: 2010/8/11 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
The transmisison issues seem to have been mitigated. Put in a stronger spring for 4th gear detent and it no longer pops out of gear. However we'll see what it does on a steep down hill.

Seems to be running warm though it was 91 degrees and I pulled a major hill to my house.

Maybe a recore radiator in my future?

Posted on: 2010/8/14 16:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
tbirdman,
I had a similar problem with a 40/356. Would jump out of 3rd gear. Put in a stronger spring and no longer have thaat problem.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 17:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Must be a relatively early 32 to have a 4-speed, is it the crashbox or the (rare) 4-speed synchro? Jumping out of gear can have several causes, all pretty rare with those gearboxes as they are about as rugged as they come. I'd focus on a misadjustment of or bent shifter fork.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Tbirdman,

A paragraph from a transmission shop manual listed below, although this is for later transmissions with helical cut gears, the section about worn detent balls and springs applies to the '32 gear box.

Another common mechanical problem with transmissions of this type is slipping or jumping out of gear. Actually, the transmission is much less likely to slip or jump out of first or reverse than out of second-, third-, or fourth-speed gear.

The most likely causes of the transmission slipping out of gear are worn detent balls or springs in the shifter shaft cover. These spring-loaded balls hold the shifter shaft in position. If the spring does not have enough tension or if the balls are worn, the transmission will almost certainly slip or jump out of gear.

Synchronizer damage will also cause the transmission to jump out of gear. Slipping out of any gear is most likely to occur when the driver suddenly takes his or her foot off the accelerator pedal, especially when descending a steep hill.

The thrust produced by the helical gears will tend to move all rotating gears and shafts to the rear of the transmission, as long as the torque provided by the engine is being delivered to the rear wheels by the transmission.

However, when the driver takes his or her foot off of the a
accelerator pedal, the situation is changed. The rear wheels now try to drive the engine through the transmission.

This reverses the direction of the torque being delivered through the transmission gears, and the thrust is now toward the front of the transmission. If this thrust is not controlled by the thrust washers and bearing retainers, it is likely to force the shifter shaft to move in spite of the spring-loaded ball that holds it. When this happens, the transmission slips out of gear.

Regards,

Dave

Posted on: 2010/8/14 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I drove it down a steep hill by my house and it didn't jump out of 4th. Before we put in the strong spring it was jump out of 4th on level ground quite often. Took it for about a mile drive today, and it satyed in gear.

Had replaced the synchros when I got the transmission redone.

However it will be in the high 90s the next couple of days so this fool is staying home in the AC.

Posted on: 2010/8/14 20:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved