Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

HH56, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

vapor lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have a friend with a 38 touring sedan twin six. He thinks he had vapor lock yesterday. He indicated he was driving the car and it quit on him while driving. After stopping and waiting a few minutes it started up. I thought vapor lock occurred after shutting down while hot and difficult to restart.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 14:24
 Top  Print   

Re: vapor lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe vapor lock can happen at anytime the temp & conditions are right for the gas to percolate. It happened on a 56 I was riding in while going up a mountain road. Not something I would wish anyone have to duplicate by the way.

The car stopping might have some other causes as well. Coils have been known to open when hot and re-establish when current stops flowing long enough for the windings to cool down--other electrical components also can do the same. Did the car just quit abruptly or sputter a bit like it was running out of gas.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
After thinking about it he was not sure whether the thing quit or not-it lose power and he was able to get into a parking lot. He then turned the key off and waited a few minutes and then the thing started right up. He has a electric fuel pump on it-not sure whether it was on or not. I rode in it today and it was running very well. I had something similiar happen to me in a 49 Packard-it was trash in the gas filter.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 16:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The symptom much more sounds like something in the gas tank that periodically gets caught in the pickup tube, and when the motor stops, it floats away only to return again at some point. Or perhaps the sediment bowl on the pump is full of crud. Symptoms don't particulary match those of vapor lock.

How recently has the tank been dropped and cleaned? And the fuel pump sediment bowl? That's where I'd start.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the gas CAP vent. I have to agree with Owen that it's not likely to be vapour lock. Not really hot enuf here yesterday for vapor lock.

Either crud in gas tank/lines or the vent in the gas cap is plugged up.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 18:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
He then turned the key off and waited a few minutes and then the thing started right up. He has a electric fuel pump on it-not sure whether it was on or not. I rode in it today and it was running very well. I had something similiar happen to me in a 49 Packard-it was trash in the gas filter.

This is exactly what happened on my '48, a little piece of fuzz was stuck in the pickup tube and under acceleration it would plug up the tube. Let it sit for a little while and it'd start right up. It would also idle all day long in the garage, it just had the problem under acceleration when it was sucking more fuel. I'm 99% sure this is his problem too, especially if it starts right up after sitting for a little while.

Posted on: 2010/10/1 19:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved