Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 154

moodydavid16, todd landis, bernhard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Projects
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Have you guys any funny expeirances while restoring your project car? Or not so funny times when you had just about enough ? Has it ever been a hard job keeping the wife Happy?

Also, if i may, if you had just a sheel of a 1948 convertible car, and a sudan car of the same year for parts, what parts from the Sudan could be used on restoring the convertible shell? bearing in mind its not a show car your after, but a good drive good looking car.

So many people seem to start projects and give up half way through, i can never understand that. In America you are so luky to have so many classics to restore and so much parts available to you.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 15:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Projects
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Buy as complete, running and finished of a car as possible. It will always be cheaper in the long run as compared to a "project". Any project will probably cost you 3x as much as you originally estimate. The devils is in the details, and those details are expensive. A project can literally nickel and dime you to death.

Paint, body work, and interior can cost way more than mechanicals. So get a car with the best possible body and interior.

For example I bought my Clipper project for $500. I will end up putting well over $10,000 (Paint, Interior, etc) into when all said and done, and that is with me doing most of the labor. I probably could have bought a decent looking/running driver for about $5,000.

Dont get me wrong projects are great is you have Time, Money, Tools, Know-how, Working Space, and Wifely Support and really like the work.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 16:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Wifely Support being the key to all the other. She has to go along with you spending time AND money on the project.
ACOlds says "If she aint happy, you aint happy"

Posted on: 2010/12/8 16:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy, no truer words were ever spoken. It's even better when she buys you tools!

Posted on: 2010/12/8 17:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
To your question, Gary, pretty much everything mechanical will transfer from a Super 8 sedan onto a Super 8 convertible.

But I strongly concurr with Kevin: the cheapest route is to buy the best car you can afford. You can deviate from that route if you want the challenge and learning experience.

I'm beginning to think the best course for you is invest in a flight to the States during one of the big Packard meets and try out some of these cars and shop around a bit.

I'm guessing many of the forum members would give you a ride, or a drive. You are certainly welcome to stop by my place and flog a variety of Packards and Studebakers as hard as you like.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Yep I know, I let my heart run away with my head. For so long I loved those old cars, always thought just so expensive, and no chance of owning one. First thing that got me interested in American Classics, was when I got a free classic American calendar, and saw for the first time so many great looking classics. I soon realised that the early 50's cars appealed much more to me. A picture of a Pontiac Chieftian 1952 Convertible had me saying just WOW. Now I learned so much more, although still a complete beginner. I got to see the Packards, and through Packardinfo.com i have learned and realised that the Packards are best, and that a project was the only way for me to go. I had hoped to spend around $5,000 on a good project car, and give myself 5 Years to complete my dream. and yes, some of those rust buckets not worth touching. Some seem solid with missing fenders, missing seats. I understand what you guys are saying, yes better wait and get Conv with solid body(needing just a re spray, good seats, all bits there, engine running, and transmission. The problem I am finding is that good Convertible project cars are selling around the $11,500 mark. sudans seem much cheaper to buy.
Thanks Ross for offer, yes if I ever come over to the States, will for sure love to come along to one of the packard meets. Are there any meets around the Chicago area? my wifes sister lives just outside chicago in Prospect Heights, IL. Great excuse to visit her, and get along to one of the meets.

Is a project car (Convertible) for around $5,000 really inpossible?

And everything mechanical will transfer from a Super 8 sedan onto a Super 8 convertible. Does that include the seats and dash board?

Posted on: 2010/12/8 19:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would think any convertible that is listed for $5,000 is going to be a real expensive project. All convertibles are going to demand a premium even in a project state.

If your budget is around $5,000 US, I would start looking at a closed car. Also don't forget you are going to having shipping costs from the US to the UK, and also any import duties that you make have to pay to the Crown. Also if a extra parts car is involved, there is shipping of that vehicle as well.

Not trying to discourage you, just making sure you have realistic information.

The dash boards should be the same. Windshields may be different. Not sure if the seats are the same between a convertible and the regular 2dr bodies. They for sure are not the same as a sedan body.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 20:13
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Dashboard yes, seats no, unless the sedan is a two door, and even then the rear seat is convertible only.

How about a 54 convertible? She's a project but you won't need to buy a sedan to go with it. PM me if interested.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Whether you buy into a project car or a driver, make sure it's complete with correct parts. If your goal is to restore to original tracking down missing parts is time consuming and expensive.

One other thought...I don't know about shipping, import duties, or other related fees, but right now the US Dollar is worth less than 65 cents to the Great British Pound. That means buying a $10,000 car stateside is going to cost you less than 6500GBP. That's a helluva deal! Better yet, with our nation's current monetary policy, the dollar should continue to sink in the coming months.

Posted on: 2010/12/8 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Ok, just sent you a PM Ross. Is it a coup or carribean? Was there one also called the Pacific ?

Posted on: 2010/12/9 0:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved