Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hood Hinge Springs and...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
...Felt Insulator Pads.

Does anyone know where to find Hood Hinge Springs for a 53 Clipper Deluxe? Cross-over from other brands?

Also, I need the Felt Insulator Pads that go between the hinge and the hood. Can I make these. Can I buy them?

Posted on: 2011/1/28 22:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Hood Hinge Springs and...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All 51-6 hinge springs are the same so that should help with finding one. If someone here doesn't help, any of the vendors should have available or have used. Don't know if any other makes would cross.

The only felt mentioned is actually a seal on the cowl bolts. Not sure that one is felt though. Steele has a reinforced masticated rubber sheet which could be used and Restoration Specialties has anti squeak webbing in various sizes which could also work--although 2" is as wide as they carry. If that is not what you need, then am not sure without more info. If just an anti squeak on the actual hood hinge bolts then the webbing from Restoration would be the ticket.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 23:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
A slight clarification. All 1951-56 hinge springs are the same, not the hinges.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 23:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very true and my mistake. Hood springs and will correct the post!

Posted on: 2011/1/28 23:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The only felt mentioned is actually a seal on the cowl bolts.
There is a felt pad that goes between the rear hood brace and the hood itself on both sides. I do not see it listed under Bonnet, but I will take a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 0:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'd appreciate a pict too for my education. Is that felt on all or just some? I just looked at mine and the hinges bolt directly into a fairly heavy reinforced box cross piece about 6 inches wide & the width of the hood. No sign of any felt above it or around the hinges that I can see.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 0:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
No felt on my 56 400 either.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There was felt on my 56 400 and the guy painting it tore it out and then denied it. I have seen it on other 56 Sr. cars.
I got some felt from ACOlds and will install it on the 400 and Carib when I bring them back from storage. If you still have the hood pad installed, it goes right up against the reinforced box piece and hides the felt rather effectively.

Posted on: 2011/1/29 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As promised, here are a couple of pics of the felt. You can see that if the hood blanket was still in place, it would be almost impossible to see the felt.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.18 KB)
23_4d4758445f0af.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (201.12 KB)
23_4d475857adfa5.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  (190.99 KB)
23_4d47586893446.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/1/31 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Wonder what the criteria was on which cars got them. Joel's original doesn't have them, and while mine has been thoroughly massaged and no longer quite as built, it didn't either.

Does it look like anything special in shape -- or just a strip of ordinary felt padding & about how thick.

Posted on: 2011/1/31 20:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved