Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

Todd W. White, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

E-bay 400 Hardtop
Just popping in
Just popping in

greenman692003
See User information
I am really interested in the Jamaican Yellow and black Packard 400 that is Currently on E-bay..Never Owned a Packard But always wanted one..What is the general opinion of the Price and the condition..E-bay 130498173261

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/3/18 22:50
 Top  Print   

Re: E-bay 400 Hardtop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I know the seller of this vehicle and believe him to be a very honest forthright individual. I have had several dealings with him and he does know V8 Packards very well.
You will need the emerg. brake handle which he may have and he may also have the proper air cleaner. You need to ask him.
I think the price is fair for a car that does not have rust issues. If you buy it, I would drop the pan and check out the bearings, main and rods before trying to fire it up.
Good luck and come back and tell us if you purchased it. As you can tell I like 56 Packards. And to an excellent Packard forum. You will find a lot of help here.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 1:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Judging by the condition of the car, I agree it will almost certainly run. The straight rust-free body is worth the price of admission itself--I have just run through much more than that on a very rusty hardtop to weld in an acre of sheet metal.

Two caveats: the transmission in the trunk does not bode well, and as Randy mentioned the air filter is wrong. Leaves me to wonder if the engine is original to the car.

When you have the car sorted out they are tremendous fun to drive; very fast and capable and can be cornered (with radials) at speeds that would leave a Buick or Caddy in a ditch.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 7:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
And it COMES with a second ultramatic!

If you can afford it, have the second rebuilt on standby (if they're both an equal unit). If you have issues with the old one in there, easy swap. If not, a professionally rebuild ultramatic would fetch half or more the price of the car right now.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Strikes me as odd that the auction is BIN instead of Bid. Seller indicates that the previous BUYER backed out of what would be construed as a previous eBay auction for the car.

Car CONDITION appears to be a desireable find for ez resortation to at least excellent driver status if not better. I would think that hte seller would be compelled to take a couple of days to get it running just good enuf to test drive around the block or around the yard or maybe to the end of the driveway 20 - 30 mph. Would sure make it sell faster and better, ata higher price especialy since it's a hard top.

Interesting to see what happens.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 10:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would think that hte seller would be compelled to take a couple of days to get it running just good enuf to test drive

Agreed, that's always baffled me as well. Like the guy who wants $150,000 for his Dietrich, but is too lazy to wash it before he takes the pictures. Or "runs great, can't start because it needs a battery". So, go buy a battery, ask $100 more for the car, and be prepared to demonstrate that it runs great.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 10:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

greenman692003
See User information
OK.....Is there a way to id the Motor? what numbers do I look for if it is a 374?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/3/19 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Look to the right of the oil filler tube on the flat area and the number there should be 5687 2607 and should match the number on the plate on the drivers side door post.
Note the trans in the trunk is a spare 1955 trans.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 20:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

greenman692003
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/3/19 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1956 374's should have a number located exactly where RB indicates and should start out as 56XX where XX > 79. If the XX < 80 then it is a 352. If it starts out with a 55xx instead of 56 then it is a 1955 motor and a 352 or 320.

Edit: if it is a factory replacement engine then just about anything or nothing mite be stamped there.

Posted on: 2011/3/19 21:02
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved