Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22 Series Door Latch Repair
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Hello Folks,

Have most major kinks worked out on my 2272 and have been driving daily for a few months now. Made a couple 6 hour freeway trips without a hick-up... and quite comfortably I must say. Now it's time to work on more little things...

First up: my 2 front doors won't close and latch nearly as smoothly as the rears and I think it's rounding of the rotating assembly in the door that looks like a big 4-toothed cog. What's the repair for this issue? I think someone out there brazed the worn areas & built the "shoulders" of the cog up again but my skills aren't quite that good.

Those replacement kits that come up on eBay any good? Gotta be a common problem with door latches after so many years of use.

Thanks for any advice.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.69 KB)
2646_4dd8a1168b564.jpg 640X478 px

Posted on: 2011/5/22 0:40
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Re: 22 Series Door Latch Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
it is a lot of work,but the way i repaired the locks on my 48. look on ebay or swap meets for rear locks that have good pot metal wheels(the four tooth gear) you can also use the ones out of the repair kits. after you remove the lock from the car it is possible with a little heat to bend the tabs up that hold the inner cover on the pot metal wheel, take out the old and put it back together with a good wheel. like i said its alot of work but will look like new.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 9:30

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Chrysler products used very similar latches in those years and some of the parts are interchangeable and much more easily found. I used a Chrysler product repair kit to fix the latch on my 22nd series Custom 8.

As to the material of construction of the 4-tooth latch wheel, I don't think it's pot metal, that wouldn't last for 20 door closures. But I'm not sure just what it is made from, how about someone checking one with a magnet?

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
If you cannot find some new latches, I have several NOS rear latches which would supply the worn gear in question, along with new springs, should you wish to go to the effort to rebuild yours. I also have some NOS striker plates, which also get worn. $22.48 each for the latches (remember these are incorrect for direct bolt in, you are buying them for parts), and $22.48 for a pair of striker plates. But you gotta buy all of it to get this price, and pay $9.48 in shipping. Or try Joel Ray, Packards1 to see if he may have the correct front door latches.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 10:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved