Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 155

HH56, Plugs1, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1954 CLIPPER POWER BRAKE CONVERSION
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I would like to convert my 1954 Clipper from power brakes to standard brakes. What do I need to change out the brake pedal to get the longer stroke. Also are the brake shoes and cylinders any different on power brakes versus standard brakes? The cost of a new master cylinder and the balance of the systems outweighs the cost of replacement of the power brake unit.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 13:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 CLIPPER POWER BRAKE CONVERSION
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will almost need to find a 51-4 parts car or at least the parts already removed. The pedals are not the same. Power brake pedal is suspended from the firewall and only goes to booster bolted to floorboard. Standard brakes use a pedal with a shaft, support brackets, linkage, different plumbing etc all under the floor and master cylinder is bolted to frame rail near steering box. There are also slight differences if Ultramatic or standard trans. The wheel cylinders and shoes are the same but the residual valve is a consideration. The power master has one built in but not sure about a standard master.

If you are not concerned about authenticity, then a universal street rod type under floor brake pedal & system could probably be mounted without much difficulty.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Others have solved the same problem by adapting a modern master cylinder. There is a recent thread on this someplace if you do a search. The main advantage is eliminating the Bendix Treadle Vac which some consider an accident waiting to happen.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I thought about the hot rods idea, but at present hve not looked into where to check them out for price and purchase. Any leads would help and anyone who has done a conversion from the 1954 Power Brake system please add onto the discussion.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 20:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others have solved the same problem by adapting a modern master cylinder.

True and a viable option. Problem is because of the unit being at the bottom of pedal, there is no modern vacuum style replacement that can use the same 1:1 pedal ratio and will be a bolt-in at the same spot. There are conversions that mount higher on the firewall in the air vent area or even higher which require a different pedal completely. The other conversion will mount in the original spot but also requires a very modified pedal. Any modern vacuum unit needs to get a 3 or 4:1 or higher pedal ratio.

A few people here have done both conversions and believe either is satisfactory. If interior looks is not a problem, probably the most cost effective and easiest way is mounting the unit in the same spot and modifying the pedal which changes the looks, height and feel quite a bit. The only conversion I know of that may work with essentially the stock pedal hasn't been tested yet so currently not a viable option. Another unit (the split component Electro-boost) has also been installed by a couple of people but the units are around $1000 with the installation additional. No feedback posted that I recall seeing on how they are working out. Any of the conversions do have the advantage of, with very easy plumbing changes in the 51-6, having a dual master cylinder split system for safety.

Two places are a possibility for getting the street rod setup. Master Power Brakeshttp://www.mpbrakes.com/ or ABS Power brakeshttp://www.abspowerbrake.com/ (which developed the Electric boost.) Unfortunately, the frame isn't high enough for a vacuum power unit to fit under the floor.

Here is a link to a thread showing the modified pedal on a 56.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=64462#forumpost64462 and another in an earlier carhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=67023#forumpost67023

Posted on: 2011/7/22 20:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Willis, I had my '55 Clipper Super converted from power brakes to standard brakes. I believe the mechanic who did the conversion used a setup from a 1951-54 Packard. The standard brake system is entirely satisfactory and does the job in an excellent manner. To do the job this way you will need, as HH56 has already said, a parts car or all the parts from a standard brake car.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe JW had a very good mechanic do his conversion. One thing to look for in a parts car for your 54 is try and find 51-4 parts for convenience if you are doing it yourself. The masters on those are in the front of firewall near the steering box. The 55-6 master is on the rear side near the transmission. The basic parts from any 51-6 can be used but the linkage needs to be reversed with some welding and additional fabrication if the wrong setup is chosen.

Posted on: 2011/7/22 22:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
A rebuilding kit for the Bendix Treadle Vac master cylinder section costs about $60 and the vacuum section leather cup about $30. Cheap enough. Detailed instructions come with the kit or they can be found in the 51-4 Packard Service Manual.

Although some do not care for the BTV unit, we have sold over 16,000 such kits over the years and the number of people I have heard of converting to another brand of PB unit I can count on two hands

Posted on: 2011/7/23 2:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I am leaning towards finding a standard brake set up from a 51-54 Packard. Are there any changes like a flow or restrictor to balance the front and rear brake pressure?

Posted on: 2011/7/23 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Here is a possibility that mite be faster and cheaper than other alternatives. Uses readily available off the local parts store shelf parts. I've never tried it on a pre 55 but IIRC one of the greatest Packard experts (Turbopackman) that came up with it said it would fit the 51 to 54's just fine too. No alterations to brakes at the wheels needed. Fairly ez and cheap to do.
OR maybe u just don't like power brakes?????
See post #6 and #7.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2011/7/23 11:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved