Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

azpack400, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ross Miller Tech Session
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might find some food for thought in this thread. I'm not looking to start another long discussion about drum versus disc brakes, that's been aired more than adequately. But if you're interested in keeping your 55/56 original and aren't satisfied with the brakes (my own opinion is that they can be and often are pretty marginal), perhaps you'll get some thoughts here.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1284

Posted on: 2011/9/23 11:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Ross Miller Tech Session
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
good information!

I can tell you though that you can't just drive these cars like mordern cars. i know when i drove my dad's 1970 Dodge Dart Swinger with manual brakes....it had to be way more careful of distances, etc..

so i expect to act the same in my Packard personally.

i mean i don't expect it to be anywhere near what my 14" 4 piston upgraded brakes on my BMW Z3 are capable of, so i would drive it accordingly.

i know everyone knows this, i just felt like saying it i guess.

carry on ;0)

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (87.97 KB)
491_4e7cc4aa041ef.jpg 872X654 px

jpg  (59.53 KB)
491_4e7cc4bde21c1.jpg 872X654 px

jpg  (75.19 KB)
491_4e7cc5af57806.jpg 1221X916 px

Posted on: 2011/9/23 12:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thanks for the write-up!

Thank you Ross, for the tech sessions. I have listened to yours at the PAC meets. I may not understand all the things you say, but I do listen!

Posted on: 2011/9/23 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Hank, great car, it looks like one of the first 6 cylinders, unfortunately too small for my bel... for my belt.

Quote:
...you can't just drive these cars like mordern cars...

I think it depends on the basis of comparison. Hank's Z3 probably stops faster than one or another vehicle I had the doubtful joy to ride with. The pic shows a farm tractor without power steering and power brakes, no brakes at the front axle, weak rear drum brake and crash box (not synchronized gear box) but 24 tons towing capacity. Successful built 20 years after the downfall of Packard and exported in several countries.
I don't say that it needs a tractor to make a Packard appear modern but high deceleration due to braking isn't an invention of modern times.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.52 KB)
757_4e7cfd1e074d0.jpg 500X188 px

Posted on: 2011/9/23 16:41
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto Quote:
You might find some food for thought in this thread. I'm not looking to start another long discussion about drum versus disc brakes, that's been aired more than adequately. But if you're interested in keeping your 55/56 original and aren't satisfied with the brakes (my own opinion is that they can be and often are pretty marginal), perhaps you'll get some thoughts here. (URL not included)

Dave, sorry for the thread drift (in opposition to your above statement), but the main thing I took from that writeup is that drum brakes are a PITA to set up and maintain, compared to disc brakes.

One of many things NOT available on drum brakes is the "telltale" in the disc brake pads that warn a semi-alert driver to the fact that the pads are getting close to replacement by "squeaking". No such thing in drum brakes until there is metal-to-metal contact by which time the drum is probably toast.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/23 19:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...One of many things NOT available on drum brakes is the "telltale" in the disc brake pads that warn a semi-alert driver to the fact that the pads are getting close to replacement by "squeaking". No such thing in drum brakes until there is metal-to-metal contact by which time the drum is probably toast...

When the pads are getting close to replacement as given in your statement then the heads of the rivets are within 1/32" from the lining surface (service manual, section IV "brakes"). In this case a satisfactory adjustment cannot be obtained and the degree of wear should have an influence on the pedal free play and the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. No need to wait until metal-to-metal contact - so much so more if the talk is of glued lining.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Guscha Quote:
When the pads are getting close to replacement as given in your statement then the heads of the rivets are within 1/32" from the lining surface (service manual, section IV "brakes"). In this case a satisfactory adjustment cannot be obtained and the degree of wear should have an influence on the pedal free play and the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. No need to wait until metal-to-metal contact.

Gerd, I think you missed my point. 1) There is no ongoing adjustment of disc brakes as they are self-adjusting. 2) The master cylinder reservoir reduction in level will be unnoticed at the pedal if there is no leak. One could actually "pop the top" and visually inspects the level, but most owners do not. 3) Some owners, for which brakes are designed, are oblivious to anything short of complete and catastrophic failure.

Bottom line: I was just trying to point out another reason why disc brakes are better than drum brakes. But, as I have posted before, for Packards that do not drive in the aggressive traffic of modern cities -- or the Autobahn in Germany -- disc brakes are probably not needed. I have disc front brakes on my 55 Pat because of having to drive in Las Vegas.

I have also driven on the Autobahn in a BMW...now that was fun!

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/24 16:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Craig, like you I was talking about drum brakes.

Bottom line: the German Autobahn statistically are the savest roads in my country.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 16:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Guscha Quote:
the German Autobahn statistically are the savest [sic] roads in my country.

Gerd, if you don't mind, please describe what it takes to get a driver's license and a car registration in Germany.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/24 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Craig, I'm not sure to understand but if you mean how much it is I think it is around EUR 2,500 to get a driver's license. You have to go through a theoretical instruction including test and driving lessons including test. The quantity of driving lessons depends on your skills. Both test are in the presence of your teacher and an external examiner. It isn't easy to get the license, many new driver's need more than one attempt - an expensive affair!
And to stick with the initial issue I would like to add that the pedal free play has been an important issue in the driving school of the 1950s.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 16:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved