Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 207

cooldude980, JohnCB, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Heater hose connections
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Help! Can anyone tell me if the hose coming from the water pump is the supply to the heater or the one coming from the head is the supply, or does it make any difference? My grandson wants me to chauffeur him to the sweetheart swirl dance this weekend and the tempature is going to be a high of 20 with overnight low of 5. I thought hooking up the heater would be nice, but I don't know which hose is the supply or the return. Thanks in advance for your help.
Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/2/10 23:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater hose connections
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the arrows are an indication, it appears the head is the source. The illustration is for a 50 but would think it wouldn't matter on earlier heaters without the thermostatic valve.

Attach file:

jpg  (52.95 KB)
209_4f35f0bff0d54.jpg 482X674 px

Posted on: 2012/2/10 23:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks HH. One would think that after owning Packards for over 40 years I would remember where the hoses were supposed to go. I may not get the Packard out tomorrow if it keeps snowing. This site is the best with the greatest people. Thanks again HH and thanks to you also Big Kev.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A water shut-off valve is usually fitted on the cylinder head of the earlier cars without a thermostatic valve (pre-22nd series?). It is opened in cold weather to allow hot water from the engine to circulate, and closed in warm weather to prevent water circulation. The water for the heater-defroster is taken off of the rear of the cylinder head because this is the warmest water in the system.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/11 11:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks again to HH and JW for the information on the heater hose connections. It was all for nothing. After I removed the front seat and installed the heater the heater core leaked. So it was a chilly ride after all. The kids didn't seem to mind too much. I will post pictures when I get them. Those 6 ply tires were sure rough riding after sitting for several months.
Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/2/12 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Does your car have the under dash heater-defroster as well as an underseat heater? If so the hose routing is different than if just one of the units is fitted.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/12 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
JW, Yes it does have both under dash defroster and under seat heater. I have not worried about the heat system because I don't usually drive the Packards in the winter.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2012/2/12 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
JW - do you have a diagram for a 39 120 with dash heat as well as the underseat heater? It does get cold here in Montana. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/17 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, I am away from home until next weekend.

(o()o)

Posted on: 2012/2/18 11:33
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
no problem - still working on the wiring harness so it will be later this winter before I get the 39 out.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 12:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved