Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

I picked up a stone chip in my windshield and
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It looks like I will be getting a new windshield. The insurance people will not do the plastic filler thing if the chip is in the line of sight. Pretty much bowled me over. Liability, but I'm not quite sure for what. Talked to the installer and came away impressed--he specializes in classic cars.

They will replace the rubber with new, from steele. I will be curious to see what kind of vendor he uses for the glass: one of the regulars, or a totally different source? He didn't think it would be hard to get!

Anything I need to be concerned with? Mine is shaded at the top. I know Caribbeans are a different size; are the rest of the cars identical?

Posted on: 2012/4/6 16:41
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I picked up a stone chip in my windshield and
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Parts book says they are all the same except for convertibles. Would be interested in hearing who he uses.

One thing I'd be watching out for is the stainless trim installation. Hopefully if the guy specializes in classic cars then he will be knowledgeable with the removal and installation. It can be a real PIA to install and sometimes needs patience and finesse. Just as I got one edge in another popped out because the rubber flexed. Don't know if that was my technique or softer Steele rubber not holding tightly but was very frustrating at times. I can see someone getting agitated and doing a poor job if he doesn't know what's involved.

Posted on: 2012/4/6 17:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My friend Paul had a lot of problem with the replacement front windshield and Steele rubber molding on his 56 Exec when he restored it. The windshield was shorter vertically than the one that came out and the rubber was not as thick. Therefore, there was a big gap at top/bottom. Although it's not what he did, he suggested that filling in the rail at the top and bottom would solve it.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/4/6 19:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We discussed stainless and I am comfortable with him....

As to problems with the executive, I don't know what to say. Could they have shipped the wrong rubber?

Posted on: 2012/4/7 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The windshield was shorter vertically than the one that came out

Would he by some bizarre chance have a Caribbean windshield?

Posted on: 2012/4/11 17:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Give or take 1/64th, the Carib windshield is 2 inches shorter.

When I got a chip in mine, one of the regular glass services fixed the chip even though it was in the driver's line of sight. The insurance company wouldn't pay for the repair so I just contacted a glass repair service who did the repair, no problems. A few years back and the repair cost was about $40. Ten years later I bought a new windshield, about $1400.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 17:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved