Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Loose Balancer?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
I've noticed that when my engine is running, there would be a knocking noise coming from the front of the engine. I figured something was loose, or there was some kind of knock from the lifters. The noise failed to go away, even when the engine was warm. I found that when I push on the fan, there is play from the balancer. The balancer moving side to side is what is causing this noise. What do you think is the problem? How do I go about fixing it? Am I screwed? LOL

Thanks as always,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:15
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Re: Loose Balancer?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The damper assy is essentially two pieces made into one with rubber which is vulcanized between and to both parts. Sounds like yours may have come loose. Only cure I know of is to find a good one or have yours revulcanized. Steele Rubber offers the service but a cheaper alternative might be Damper Dudes.http://www.damperdudes.net/

V8 dampers have been known to crack at the keyway. Not sure if that is an issue with earlier ones.

Another possibility is do a search on site for Ford dampers. One former poster mentioned there is one that will bolt up. I don't know for sure if anyone ever tried and there may be pulley, seal or other issues. He had made the suggestion because you could get extra pulleys for those wanting to add AC.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Well that is good news(sort of), I was thinking the key-way had gotten worn out because it sounded like metal knocking. Guess I will be making a trip out to John's Salvage sometime in the future.

Thanks Howard,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:38
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your budget necessitates getting one from a salvage yard, just recognize that it may not have much life left in it. The rubber element is working constantly while the engine is running, and after more than a half-century you can't expect too much more. That said, the V8 dampers seem to have a shorter service life than the previous models.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 20:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those dampers are very reliable--believe the weight is sealed inside in a fluid.

If yours is wobbling, first just make sure it is installed tight by pulling up that big bolt with the 1" head to NAT specifications (Nice and tight).

If it has been loose on the crank for a while and has egged out you will either need to either Loctite it on if its not too bad, or put another on. I have stacks of them.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, I've had a couple of dampers apart from 30s senior cars, can't say it's the same construction as postwar but they do not contain any fluid.

Now Duesenberg, they used a pair of fixed and opposing cylinders each partially filled with Mercury - talk about elegant!

You can get an idea of the internal construction of the damper designed for the new 120 from the picture in the Griswold patent, I'm thinking this style was probably used thru 1954. Earlier Packard had to pay a royalty to Lanchester to use their design.

Attach file:

jpg  (173.61 KB)
177_4fe525cfaa086.jpg 982X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks guys!

I will give it a check on Sunday, going to a family reunion on Saturday. Hopefully she just needs to be tightened up to "NAT" specs. How do I go about making sure the engine doesn't spin when I tighten her down? My car has one of the A/C pulleys on it, if that makes any difference.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:16
Garrett

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your car is standard shift, put it in gear and use the parking brake. If it's Ultramatic, I don't recommend using the park gear; perhaps there are easier ways to hold the engine but you could always use a flywheel claw and have a helper hold it. Or just use an pneumatic or electric impact wrench.

If you remove the balancer first, check the condition of the keyway broaches on the crankshaft and damper for damage, and also check the key itself. If the key is a bit battered, you might dress it with a file and flip it 90 degrees.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Luckily it is a standard, but I'm not sure the clutch will give much resistance. I might just cautiously use an impact.

Thanks O_D,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/6/22 21:31
Garrett

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved