Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

Ken_P, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Add AC to '53 {288 ci}
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
I am wanting to add AC to my car which is a 40 coupe with a 53{288ci} engine. My main concern is mounting the compressor which will require other modifications. Has someone done this and are proud of the results. I live in Florida and sure would like a cool car. Thanks, Steve 407 947 9831

Posted on: 2009/6/26 10:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Add AC to '53 {288 ci}
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm going to be doing exactly that sometime soon on my '48, and was thinking of using the front three head bolts on the driver's side of the head, as well as the oil filter mounting brackets to mount the compressor. I'm sure you'd have to make a bracket, unless you can find a stock compressor mount somewhere. I'd like to see some pics of a stock system so I can replicate it, and maybe offer knock offs to those who want to add a/c. As for the compressor and the evaporator, a small import Sanden compressor would be really nice, (I'd have to get rid of the stock 1/2" wide belt setup on the '48 though, or adapt some kind of additional pulley arrangement) and a Vintage Aire type under dash evaporator would be easy to do. The hardest part is mounting a compressor.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's Packards official brackets.

First is the pre war implementation --probably the 356 version with last one showing how a Sanden adapter could be used on something similar. Second are poor quality picts of a 54 bracket and idlers.

There are some picts of other nicely custom made flat 8 brackets on site here from a discussion late last year--early this but don't remember the thread name.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.70 KB)
209_4a4572215127b.jpg 1105X1280 px

jpg  (81.81 KB)
209_4a457232ed77a.jpg 1200X800 px

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My plan for doing this on my '54 that does not have power steering is to use the 51-54 power steering pump brackets, and power steering bolt on crank pulley, and also use a Sanden compressor. Obviously if you have power steering, then this wont work. But the idea here is to mount the compressor where the power steering pump would have normally mounted on cars that were equipped with it.

This will keep it looking as stock as possible without the rube-goldberg setup of the original 53/54 A/C.

As Eric said the engine setup is the hardest part. Once you have that figured out, there are many options for the interior evaporators.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 20:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2046&forum=12&post_id=19448#forumpost19448

See link in post #3 about he icyball. I still think the icyball is the best way to go.

Posted on: 2009/6/26 21:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's starting to look like the easiest way to go is to use the Ford dampener and run everything with a serpentine belt. I'm thinking I just might have to explore this option.

As for the "icyball", Keith, that's not one of your more brilliant contributions!

It sounds like something an Eskimo would suffer from!

Posted on: 2009/6/26 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Abstract away from the name of the system and look at just the concept.

Instead of 2wo balls filled with Ammonia, run SS lines along and up close to the exhaust manifold to provide the heat to charge the ammonia.

This would eliminate the need to mount or drive a pump. It would also provide air conditioning when the engine is OFF for about 1 hour during real hot weather while engine is still hot.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 6:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I took a photo of an AC compressor on a 1940 Super Eight at the 56th Texas Tour. Maybe this photo will be of some help. It is in the Car Show Pictures.

Posted on: 2009/6/27 10:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
Thanks again for your in-put. I am trying to locate the crank pully for two belts but no luck so far. Steve

Posted on: 2009/6/29 18:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

stephenmajors
See User information
I am not familiar with the iceball system. Do you wish to provide more information? Thanks Steve

Posted on: 2009/6/29 18:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved