Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 140

CartRich, TxGoat, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33)

Re: Fun with used cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
VERY nice! Too bad Studebaker isn't around AND allowed to build these today. I'd love to have one... quarter-ton capacity... cheap to run!

A 1966 Mustang "ute" would be nice too. Shorten the cabin, lose the rear seat, and add a bed/tailgate... maybe use Falcon wagon parts?

Posted on: 4/25 11:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I thought the early Rancheros were based on the Falcon chassis?

Posted on: 4/25 11:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Both Falcon and non-Falcon Rancheros were built.

Posted on: 4/25 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
deleted

Posted on: 5/14 14:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Quote:

Bob J wrote:
So after about 20 trips over 150 miles and endless tweaks I took Greta out for a long run on a beautiful side road this afternoon. I was able to run her between 45-50 mph for 24 miles on a glorious spring day. All the small vacuum leaks, timing resets, fuel pump issues, a few compression leaks, loose fasteners, some minor wiring reworks, and carburetor adjustments all paid off. For the 1st time she completed the run and was backed into the garage without anything in need of tools to correct, phew!
I will keep getting her out and build my confidence in her. My heart is not in my mouth as much now. I was able to talk my nerves down and start to enjoy the ride and the wonderful day. It took a lot of help from everyone here to get to this point and I cannot thank you enough. I hope everyone else has a great touring season ahead of them this season too.
Thanks!
Bob J.

That’s great to hear, Bob. Congratulations on a successful outing. Hopefully, many more to follow.

Posted on: 5/14 16:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Rancheroos?

The first Rancheros were 1957 model year and built on the Ford passenger chassis. '57, '58, '59 were all Ford car based, probably with some station wagon parts. I don't recall ever seeing a 1960 full size Ranchero, so I'm pretty sure they either dropped the line or moved it to the new Falcon chassis. Later on, in the mid 60's, the Ranchero moved up from the Falcon platform to the (mid-size?) Fairlane platform.

Posted on: 5/14 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It's a great feeling to get the bugs worked out of a car so that it can be driven and enjoyed with confidence. A "well-sorted" Packard is a very dependable car, and they are probably the most drive-able of the pre-WWII cars, and people of every sort still appreciate the styling, and car people appreciate the good engineering.

Posted on: 5/14 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Aren’t these 1937 posts in the wrong thread? This is Ross’s thread for Packups.

Posted on: 5/15 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
About Rancheros, I believe they were build on the station wagon chassis which was slightly different in the rear suspension than the passenger cars with stiffer springs. Oddly for 1958, the Ranchero kept the round 1957 taillights even though the 1958 station wagons had the proper ones for the year. Incidentally, I had two 1957 Fords: a Fairlane 500 2-door hardtop (we bought it new) and a Country Sedan station wagon purchased from a neighbor. As a teenager, the Country Sedan carried lots of Packard parts from Woodinville’s Vintage Auto Parts to my home in northeast Bellevue, WA.

Posted on: 5/15 15:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 30 31 32 (33)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved