Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

HH56, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 74 75 76 (77) 78 79 80 ... 121 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Here are photos

Attach file:

jpg  (141.60 KB)
1067_5b09f76d82f7b.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (84.43 KB)
1067_5b09f777bfae6.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (62.42 KB)
1067_5b09f780c48fa.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2018/5/26 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
CARB: Mystery solved. Ron at Daytona Parts inspected the returned carb.

"Joe! Yes, we found several things with your Stromberg carb. First, NEVER, NEVER EVER use any kind of sealant around a carburetor. We found silicone or Indian Head shellac? or sealant of some sort, around the fuel inlet. There was also a piece of silicone or debris partially blocking the main jet and small brass shavings inside the fuel bowl. Photos attached."

So, yes, John used No.2 Permatex non-hardening form-a-gasket sealant, though none of it appears to have gotten inside the carb. Ron is very emphatic about not using sealant around the carb, so I pass that on.

The silicone stuck in the jet must have been in there for a very long time. Silicone is a very big no-no.

John customized the fitting to the carb so we could attach the glass bowl fuel filter directly in front of the carb. He had to drill it on the bench, but we were busted because a couple of shavings made their way to the bowl.

None of these faulty practices caused the loss of power under load, however. Ron continues:

"All that said , we also found the float drop was not set correctly preventing enough fuel getting to the bowl. That was our fault, and we offer our sincere apologies. Your carb was fully tested and is on its way back to you via UPS. Tracking info attached also. Let me know if you have any questions, and also when you receive the package.
Thank You!"

I sent a pic from the Prom and Ron write:

"PRETTY PACKARD Joe!! You will never find any recommendation using any type of sealant or lubricants around a carburetor. If you are lucky it will not cause problems; however over the years far more problems have been created by folks using sealants around carburetors. The factory's knew this and NEVER used anything involving sealant. Also, Brass fittings were only made to be used once, then discarded. Re-using brass fittings leads to leakage from stretched threads over time. In any event the carb is on its way. Let me know how it goes.
Thank You!
RON"

This advice from a top carburetor refurbishing company will be added to our best practices, despite good ole boy gasoline alley techniques.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
CARB: Mystery solved. Ron at Daytona Parts inspected the returned carb.

"Joe! Yes, we found several things with your Stromberg carb. First, NEVER, NEVER EVER use any kind of sealant around a carburetor. We found silicone or Indian Head shellac? or sealant of some sort, around the fuel inlet. There was also a piece of silicone or debris partially blocking the main jet and small brass shavings inside the fuel bowl. Photos attached."

So, yes, John used No.2 Permatex non-hardening form-a-gasket sealant, though none of it appears to have gotten inside the carb. Ron is very emphatic about not using sealant around the carb, so I pass that on.

The silicone stuck in the jet must have been in there for a very long time. Silicone is a very big no-no.

John customized the fitting to the carb so we could attach the glass bowl fuel filter directly in front of the carb. He had to drill it on the bench, but we were busted because a couple of shavings made their way to the bowl.

None of these faulty practices caused the loss of power under load, however. Ron continues:

"All that said , we also found the float drop was not set correctly preventing enough fuel getting to the bowl. That was our fault, and we offer our sincere apologies. Your carb was fully tested and is on its way back to you via UPS. Tracking info attached also. Let me know if you have any questions, and also when you receive the package.
Thank You!"

I sent a pic from the Prom and Ron write:

"PRETTY PACKARD Joe!! You will never find any recommendation using any type of sealant or lubricants around a carburetor. If you are lucky it will not cause problems; however over the years far more problems have been created by folks using sealants around carburetors. The factory's knew this and NEVER used anything involving sealant. Also, Brass fittings were only made to be used once, then discarded. Re-using brass fittings leads to leakage from stretched threads over time. In any event the carb is on its way. Let me know how it goes.
Thank You!
RON"

This advice from a top carburetor refurbishing company will be added to our best practices, despite good ole boy gasoline alley techniques.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.30 KB)
1067_5b0eb7a0e877a.jpg 667X847 px

jpg  (53.41 KB)
1067_5b0eb7a98822f.jpg 672X818 px

jpg  (48.60 KB)
1067_5b0eb7b674535.jpg 678X823 px

jpg  (49.94 KB)
1067_5b0eb7bf04494.jpg 675X831 px

jpg  (44.20 KB)
1067_5b0eb7cabcd33.jpg 640X810 px

Posted on: 2018/5/30 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
In the meantime, the flackmaster came up with a 1940 Throttle Guard for the Stromberg. We'll just mount the bracket with the returned carb, make sure we have no more problems, then mount the Throttle Guard, used with overdrive-equipped cars. It reduces stalling and backfiring when the Econo-Drive is engaged and car speed drops below 17 mph. A complete description and adjustment procedure is in the 1940 Packard Super Eight One-Sixty Owner's Manual, page 24.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1940Packard160and180OwnersManual.pdf

REAR-END: The Duchess is now at Oregon Drive Train to get the running gear, axles, wheel bearings, etc checked out before touring.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.30 KB)
1067_5b0ebbaa46955.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/5/30 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think the throttle guard was dropped midway through 1940 production, which is why you hardly ever, never see them. My car, a very late production 1940 and a low-mileage original car, did not have one. Nor do 1941 models have them.

Joe's car, being a very early production car, it seems very appropriate to have it on there.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 11:08
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
West - I am very curious about your remark regarding mid-year throttle guard utilization. Please advise source of this. Also as a side note, the trico supplied throttle guard changed (in design, not in part number!) I believe, from 39 to 40/41 (another detail for another day, based solely on my personal observations and discussions with Jim Hollingsworth who educated me on what I think I know about these). Also, curiously the parts book shows the throttle guard continuing into the '41 Super 8's, but no longer on the 110/120? Being very particular on throttle guards, surely we want Joe to have the correct one on his car.
Anyway, if you already know the answer/s, please share...

I specifically recall Jim saying, with a smirk, how difficult it is to judge an overdrive equipped 39-41 Packard..."you can't judge what's not there".

Posted on: 2018/5/30 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Maybe in mid-year 1941 it was dropped(?), but checking the parts book, it looks like the '39, '40, '41 Super 8s used the Throttle Guard on EconoDrive-equipped cars. It may have only been used with a Stromberg carburetor. Perhaps in '42 the carb was changed to Carter and the Throttle Guard was dropped as on 356 engines after the war.

But I've been looking for one for 10 years, so I feel fortunate to have found one ...or the flackmaster found me.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Stupid post by me. I apologize.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 12:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
NOT stupid. In fact, I'm pleased that someone else is even interested in this seemingly esoteric item. The throttle guard is a very seldom seen item, yet "required" by the parts book - it was not an "option".
The "average" Packard guy doesn't even know its missing. The point of this forum is to educate, and I'm sure that once installed, Joe will followup with any perceived change in performance. Many cars had throttle guards, or dashpots as they are also known, thru the 60's. Why? From my limited mechanical knowledge their purpose is to smooth out the carburation when you lift your foot completely off the throttle.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From my limited mechanical knowledge their purpose is to smooth out the carburation when you lift your foot completely off the throttle.

Yup, it's to minimize stalling on rapid stops by changing the rate of closure of the throttle valve from near-instantaneous to a more leisurely, controlled-rate closure. Dashpots were for a time very important with automatic transmissions where, on rapid closure of the throttle, the inertia of the torque converter had a tendency to stall the engine.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 13:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 74 75 76 (77) 78 79 80 ... 121 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved