Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 191

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

33-34 bonnet door rivers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
My painter removed the doors to repaint the bonnet and doors. I have checked with Max and Bruce, they have no rivets. Has anyone found a source for the brass shoulder rivets? The Packard part number is 191157. Thanks for any info you have.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 8:36

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 33-34 bonnet door rivers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I took a quick look for you thru MSC and McMaster-Carr thinking I'd see something suitable or easily modified but came up empty. Perhaps you'll have to make them which should actually be a fun project. Do you have a small hobby or jeweler's lathe? For small work I use a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) mini lathe which for small $ is a great addition to the hobbyist's workshop for little jobs like this and its just barely big enough to turn generator and starter commutators. If you're "tool handy", think about getting one.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.86 KB)
177_560e92df78682.jpg 1280X791 px

Posted on: 2015/10/2 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Check restoration supply

Posted on: 2015/10/2 9:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Checking Restoration Supply I did not see shoulder rivets.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea on the size you need but if they would work Hirsch shows some brass shoulder rivets used on the grill louvers.http://www.hirschauto.com/Shoulder-Rivets/products/53/

Jay Cee Sales and Rivethttp://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-builder.html also lists various types of brass shoulder rivets but those don't show in the online store. Might be worth a call to see if they stock the shoulder rivets for sale or if it is a you specify the size and we build 10000 type of thing.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I am going to see what happens with build a rivet that Jay- Cee has and will post what I find out.

Posted on: 2015/10/2 19:26

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I sent an e-mail off to Jay-Cee and received a reply this AM. I requested 100 rivets and that quantity was not large enough for the them to produce. Back to the research book. Oh darn!!

Posted on: 2015/10/5 8:58

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can you post a picture of one that you removed as well as a sketch with dimensions that shows the original shape?

Posted on: 2015/10/5 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I requested 100 rivets and that quantity was not large enough for the them to produce.

Can't say I'm surprised because I ran into something similar on an item I was looking for -- and people wonder why mfg is going overseas. Did they mention what would be an acceptable quantity?

As O_D mentioned, possibly a photo or dimensional sketch will tell if there is any other place it is used on the car or maybe another larger volume mfg used the same arrangement and one of their vendors might have had them reproduced.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you considered a shoulderless rivet with a small sleeve slid onto the shank? The sleeve could even be soldered or glued to the rivet shank if desired.

Awaiting your sketch, I still think it would be quite easy to make these.

Posted on: 2015/10/5 12:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved