Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

Gary Kulp, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Killed my gauges
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I've worked on gauges on many 55-56's, never thought of the need to remove the dash. Best idea is to be young and flexible, which you are, and have small hands. Maybe Pres Trump can help you

Posted on: 2017/3/1 13:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
There is no comfortable way. To work under the dash.....even with the seat removed. I like the idea of finding someone with small hands but I think a contortionist under three feet tall is in order.
If anyone knows of a shop with a skinny mechanic ....please let me know. I have a speedometer that needs pulled and may sell the car rather than hanging upside down for the project.
Too bad most Packard owners are already eligible for Medicare..

Posted on: 2017/3/1 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Thanks for the directions everyone - I was hoping I wouldn't have to be a contortionist but oh well. Oh and, Fred, I wouldn't let Mr. Tiny Hands anywhere near my Packard, God knows what else he'd grab.

Posted on: 2017/3/4 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"God knows what else he'd grab." That there is funny :)
Having the dash loose from a '71 El Camino 5-6 times, the Packard seemed easy. Also you never want to get into an Avanti dash. Just take a deep breath and ease into it.

Posted on: 2017/3/4 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
HE LIVES!

My '55 Patrician lives, no thanks to my tom foolery - note to self, just leave the damned thing alone.

Apparently I fried up the points....and I know exactly when I did it too. Since this is my first car with points I'm going to chalk that up to a learning experience.

He's also fixed my gages - because as previously discussed my ham handed ways knocked them out....apparently I stupidly left the ignition in the on position when back there and shorted something - but they're back, and another lesson learnt.

Last but not least my mechanic thinks the ethanol in the gas ate up the rubber in the accelerator pump when I left the car to sit for nearly 3 weeks.

All in all I've learned my lesson - leave it to a professional. Next stop, the detail shop!

Posted on: 2017/4/18 6:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm glad your car is alive and well but am curious how you could short or damage the points unless a power wire was somehow connected to them directly while they were closed. I have managed to overheat or oxidize points by leaving the key on for an extended time while the points were closed but generally that won't outright kill them.

Out of curiosity was the carb original or did it get a rebuild before you picked it up. I am surprised a modern rebuild kit would have any component that would deteriorate with ethanol.

Posted on: 2017/4/18 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Carb was rebuilt and the car was running very well, until I let it sit. I guess I should say the ethanol is a THEORY from my mechanic, given his past experience. He did send along a picture of bad part next to a new one - but again it is just a theory based on his experience.

Posted on: 2017/4/18 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
So about that theory....

The car is running yes, but that's about it.

So the accelerator pump, a float (he found a bad float later) & the speedo cable were replaced - to stop the bouncing speedo issue. That's all good and well, but according to my mechanic it feels like the car is being choked when you hit the accelerator, unless you leave it to warm up for a very long time. Auto choke is good, timing is good, fuel system checks out. So that leaves just electrical?

My mechanic is a bit flummoxed but still trying to get it going right, last we spoke he's going to try putting in a good coil he happened to have.

Granted all I can keep imagining the ever lightening of my wallet and time NOT behind the wheel....ah well, at least once it's fixed it'll be FIXED.

Posted on: 2017/4/26 13:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
.... it feels like the car is being choked when you hit the accelerator, unless you leave it to warm up for a very long time.

Exhaust manifold heat riser valve?

Posted on: 2017/4/26 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I'll pass that along to him, thanks for the suggestion!

Posted on: 2017/4/26 13:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved