Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 & 1956 Starter. Delco or Autolite interchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
The starter on my '55 Clipper is inop after making really bad sounds.
The bendix is busticated & the solenoid is rather due for replacement.(While I'm in there)
Now these parts should be available but time is a factor and I have timely access to a Delco starter.
Are there any factors that I should be aware of in changing to a Delco?
2nd question,Would someone have access to interchange info for the Autolite bendix & solenoid should I fix mine?

Posted on: 2017/6/20 22:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 & 1956 Starter. Delco or Autolite interchange
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 55-56 Delcos Packard used are a solenoid operated pinion shift type starter and the Autolite is just a straight Bendix drive so that is the main difference between starters. If you have the complete Delco starter and solenoid the assys will directly interchange. Solenoids are completely different so the Autolite will not work with the Delco but all the basic wiring will interchange. Just take the wires connected to the Clipper solenoid battery terminal and the brown starter wire from ign (or neutral safety) switch going to the coil terminal and transfer them over to their respective Delco terminals .

The wiring difference is in a 4th terminal on the Delco solenoid. On a senior Packard which used the Delcos there is a light green wire connected to that terminal which goes to the ballast resistor to cut it out of the circuit and provide 12v directly to the coil when the engine is starting. I do not believe the Clippers used that wire but I don't know for sure. I haven't been around Clippers that much to remember. The wiring diagram shows the Delco solenoid and wire and not the Autolite solenoid. If the Clipper has that wire I would be interested in knowing where it is connected in the Autolite setup and it would also transfer over to the 4th terminal on the Delco.

Posted on: 2017/6/20 22:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
When doing the starter work on my 55 Clipper, there was a green wire that did not get reconnected. My oversight. I ended up connecting it to the battery and all was fine. This Super Clipper has the Autolite electrical equipment. So, I would say connect the green wire to the battery terminal of the solenoid.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2017/6/21 10:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Therein brings an interesting question on long term operation. If the Clipper green wire is going to the ballast resistor and connected in the same way as the seniors are wired, connecting to the battery would mean the coil is getting 12v all the time. That should result in a battery drain if the points happened to stay closed when the engine stopped. In theory, according to those that state ballast resistors serve a required purpose of protecting points, that should also result in burned points and an overall short life of other ignition components -- unless the coil is internally ballasted too. Even the internal ballast wouldn't prevent the battery drain.

I am really curious now what the hookup is on V8 Clippers.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
On the correct solenoid for the 55 Super and Deluxe there are 4 terminals: battery, starter, start, and ignition. The ignition is only hot whilst the car is cranking thus giving 12v to the coil for that time only. The rest of the time the coil is fed through the ballast as usual.

Because of this, any V8 starter fits any V8 car if you watch your wires. My 56 Clippper is running the 55 Autolite with Bendix drive. I like them as the solenoid draws far fewer amps through the ignition switch whilst cranking.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 12:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is this the correct Cole-Hersee replacement for the 55-6 Autolite solenoid or at least what the factory item looks like?

Attach file:

jpg  (34.91 KB)
209_594ac6d485916.jpg 660X564 px

Posted on: 2017/6/21 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That would do nicely.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
When doing the starter work on my 55 Clipper, there was a green wire that did not get reconnected. My oversight. I ended up connecting it to the battery and all was fine. This Super Clipper has the Autolite electrical equipment. So, I would say connect the green wire to the battery terminal of the solenoid.

(o[]o)

After thinking about it, I think the green wire was from the neutral safety switch. This switch was removed when Ross replaced the Twin Ultramatic with a manual shift transmission. This being the case, connecting it to the battery would make sense, to me. I could not recall where the green wire was connected prior to my work. Maybe Ross can shed some knowledge about this. JWL

Posted on: 2017/6/23 9:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thanks for the good info, Saturdays project will be to source a replacement starter. The failure stemmed from the ignition switch which was sticky in the start position which lead to the bendix going for a quick ride on the flywheel.
Fortunately I had a spare ignition switch, switched the lock & I should be back in business?

Posted on: 2017/6/23 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The speed/rate that the Bendix engages with the flywheel is independent of the condition of the ignition switch, there is no fast or slow. A sticky switch may keep the starter engaged longer than it should be perhaps resulting in a burned out starter

Posted on: 2017/6/23 14:20
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved