Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 209

DM37, Dennis Miller, HH56, BigKev, pack36997, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Packard carpet set
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I need a new carpet set for my 1955 400 the carpet is a deep pile and its color is pink. Does anyone know someone that carries this color?

Posted on: 2019/2/27 19:39
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Packard carpet set
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Neal Porter repro'd the original senior carpet and still has some left over. Doesn't look like he has all the colors but maybe worth a call to see just what he has left. I don't ever remember seeing a mention of pink carpet so could yours possibly be a faded red?

If Mr. Porter cannot help you might contact Dwight Heinmuller. At one time he sold a modern high pile Karastan? house carpet in all the correct colors which I think looks very much like the original. I don't know if he still offers the carpet but bought one of his Maltese Gray sets about 5-6 years ago for my 56 Caribbean and am very pleased with the look and how it went in and fits. The photo was taken when I was fitting it in.

Kanter offers carpet sets but his is modern nylon automotive material which is definitely less plush than Dwights and I think even the factory carpet. Maybe his high pile offering will be satisfactory but not sure he has the colors that were Packard special for 55-6.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.63 KB)
209_5c773c8d2763e.jpg 773X118 px

jpg  (50.78 KB)
209_5c77450598d80.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2019/2/27 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Thanks but it is definitely pink.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looked at a couple of sites that have automotive carpet both in kits and by the yard sales. Didn't see anything available in modern carpet color charts that I would call pink. I guess that would be the Sardonyx color. Is there any color name given in the parts book for bulk carpet or the required set under the trim code for your car? If you have the trim number and can get the carpet part number there are a number of photos of carpet samples in the photo archive. Yours might be one of them and perhaps the sample card can provide more information.

Most of the modern supply places only make kits for the popular cars -- Ford, Chevy, etc -- but aside from Kanter, here is another place that offers a menu option for 55 Packard kits. I have no idea of their quality or fit etc but you might give them a call to see if they actually do make the kits and request a sample. They mention 70 colors available so maybe they have something you could use.https://www.stockinteriors.com/CutSewnCarpet.asp?Itemid=11097&ModelId=699

If not successful with them maybe Dwight would be worth a call and see if he still does carpet kits and if so, can he get anything in the Karastan? carpet near the color you need.https://www.packardparts.org/contact-us/

If nothing in ready made kits works out you might call and inquire or send a small hidden and unfaded sample of your carpet to Hirsch and see if they can come up with something close. There are some pink like color selections of quality carpet in their Wilton I line but you would probably need to have a local upholster make up the set. SMS used to offer older and bulk carpet but I don't see the option on their site at the moment.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Detail King makes a liquid pump-sprayed automotive carpet dye and can mix about any color you want. Aerosol carpet dyes make the carpet stiff but not so the liquid so maybe worth a call to see what they can do. Then you can get a standard light color set and make it any color you want. The color I linked to their name is their standard light red but any color imaginable can be made.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Thanks for all the advice guys SMS upholstery says they can supply the color carpet I need.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

WauhopM wrote:
I need a new carpet set for my 1955 400 the carpet is a deep pile and its color is pink. Does anyone know someone that carries this color?

This I've gotta see. Let's see some photos of this 1955 pink carpet! And while you're at it... lets see a photo of the door jamb serial number plate. What is the interior code?

Posted on: 2019/3/2 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I assure you it is PINK and the trim code is 81. Here are a couple of photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (115.55 KB)
3005_5c7ab12d0b6bc.jpg 1920X1082 px

jpg  (107.89 KB)
3005_5c7ab13d5f51f.jpg 1920X1082 px

Posted on: 2019/3/2 11:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it is worth parts book says code 81 was the only trim to use the carpet color "Sardonyx". No idea how accurate the color card reproduction is but there is a sample in the photo archive which to me looks more of a rust color.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=10682

Posted on: 2019/3/2 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The carpet on the floor of your car is not original, however the carpet remaining on your firewall is. Note also the color of the binding. See also that the firewall carpet is the correct loop pattern.

Posted on: 2019/3/2 14:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved