Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 241

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Universal Power Brake Conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Has anyone tried using one of the universal street rod firewall mount power brake units w/pedal on a 55 Clipper? I've searched and can't seem to find anything.
I am finally getting back to working on my Clipper after a long hiatus due to surgery and college financial requirements.
My BTV is frozen solid and I am considering mounting something to the firewall, preferably using the air vent opening.
Also looking for someone who is parting out a 55 Constellation, 2 Door. I need a couple of pieces of body metal to repair rusted out areas. Specifically, passenger side, rear side window, area from outside body line to inner panel, from rear of door opening to joint where top meets body. If necessary I can take a photo and mark the area I need.
Much more will be needed, but taking baby steps right now.
Thanks,
John

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Universal Power Brake Conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There have been several who have mounted thru the air vent as you are considering. Don't recall any using a universal kit though. Here is a thread with one of the first as well as an excellent conversion with the booster mounted higher up toward the top of firewall. There is another vent conversion done by a friend of Craig's who did one using IIRC, a Chevy pedal setup. Can't think of the title of that thread but perhaps Craig will see this and remember the post.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2874&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Howard. I saw that thread, and possibly one other, but there was a lot of discussion regarding the pedal ratio and some that required using different pedal mounts or modifying the stock pedal. I was wondering about the ones that are inclusive of the pedal, linkage, etc.
Hopefully, someone else has decided to take this route and has some info, because it will be awhile before mine is street legal. ;^)

Posted on: 2017/2/14 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Using the 94 Ford explorer PB unit AND PEDAL ASSEMBLY (need TWO pedal assemblies) is about as close to a "bolt in" conversion as is available. Yes, some minor mods to the Ford pedal needs to be made but not that would require the skills of a master fabricating professional with 50 years experience.

Maybe need to go back and study the various threads regarding this conversion. The pedal ratio u seem worried about is ELEMINATED when using the ford power unit AND Ford pedal assembly.

If the Ford ratio was correct for the Ford app then it is correct even if mounted on a sewing machine a Boeing 707 or a highway tractor.

Posted on: 2017/2/15 16:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Here is a well documented thread on converting a '55 Oldsmobubble with the DTV.
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/vintage-oldsmobiles/53873-under-floor-power-brakes-1955-olds.html

Posted on: 2017/2/15 19:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No info seems to be forthcoming on anyone using a universal kit on a Packard so it looks like no one has tried any of the firewall kits.

Just thinking out loud, but since some of the limiting factors is length and having to give up a function such as the vent or other firewall real estate and in addition to that fabrication, also possibly need to relocate electrical components for clearance, I am wondering about one of the under floor kits. IIRC, a few years ago there was a poster who thought they would not fit but has anyone actually measured the space to the rear of the accelerator over near the frame X. Packard placed their manual cylinder in that area in 55-6 so maybe a dual 7" booster would fit. Even if it hung down an inch below the frame it would probably not be a show stopper. Add a protection plate if needed and with a remote reservoir, it would be a neat and almost invisible mod.

If the underfloor setup would fit I wonder if it would be possible to go a step farther and modify the arm by shortening a bit. Add a bearing arrangement on the end of the floor arm which could be worked by rolling against a plate arrangement on the back of the suspended pedal. Because of the two different geometries the bearing would have to be able to roll as the suspended pedal moved and also be captured to keep them together but I think it might be doable. If not a bearing possibly some kind of double clevis link. Add a bellows over the exposed floor arm and inside, the mod would look virtually identical to stock and still have the proper ratio..

Posted on: 2017/2/15 19:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

64avanti wrote:
Here is a well documented thread on converting a '55 Oldsmobubble with the DTV.
http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/vintage-oldsmobiles/53873-under-floor-power-brakes-1955-olds.html

Too bad the photos are not visible to non members. It might be an interesting read.

Posted on: 2017/2/15 20:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I have the pics here are few has lots of detail for installation in Olds

Attach file:

jpg  (14.41 KB)
252_58a5dad841634.jpg 448X253 px

jpg  (67.60 KB)
252_58a5daef81300.jpg 640X361 px

jpg  (16.06 KB)
252_58a5db0468130.jpg 448X253 px

jpg  (73.65 KB)
252_58a5db2204d16.jpg 640X361 px

jpg  (28.37 KB)
252_58a5db47255c2.jpg 640X361 px

jpg  (16.06 KB)
252_58a5db5d09667.jpg 448X253 px

jpg  (58.95 KB)
252_58a5dc60bde75.jpg 640X361 px

Posted on: 2017/2/16 12:03
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for obtaining the photos. The pedal location is interesting. Was it originally that low in the Olds? The pedal arrangement and location looks a lot like the mods Craig worked out for his conversion.

I was trying to keep the pedal location totally stock looking but don't like the complexity of my approach and where the booster wound up. Still haven't got back to that project as the 47 took over. Am kind of intrigued with the floor mount possibilities though. There looks to be some power floor mount kits for 55-7 Chevys and doubt if those had any deeper frames than a Packard

Posted on: 2017/2/16 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The pedal location is interesting. Was it originally that low in the Olds?

No.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 12:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved