Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 246

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Cost of a paint job
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Thank you for all the great posts.

Very informative.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
Quote:
I have two quotes for my 56 Pat of 15k and 25k, and that is with me doing all the bodywork and prep

Just out of curiosity, what were they going to give you for that kind of money?

Posted on: 2014/7/11 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Scott,

That price was to shoot and clear. I would reassemble and they would touch up, clear, and wet sand. When ever you mumble the words "Packard", "Cadillac" 19XX services always likes to go from $ to $$$$$.

I have access to a DuPont booth from and old employer, so I will be shooting it myself.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 13:51
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
It can be done in a car and a half+garage at home if you are young and are an experienced car guy/fairly handy diy mechanic and you plan to do more than 1 vehicle it can save you some doe and be very rewarding. If you dont meet all these criteria, do not attempt it.If you or anyone here wants tips and info on supplies and tools required. ask and I can give the info on what worked for me. you will have to add a 2nd compressor tee in if your current is smaller than 3hp/25gal tank. last 2 I did at home some yrs back-

Attach file:

jpg  (86.62 KB)
1794_53c056460af88.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/7/11 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I was quoted 8-10grand for a 2 tone paint job high end driver-not show quality.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Wow, the prices you guys are giving seem like a bargain. I'm sure it is an Alaska thing.
The most reputable painter around here insists on taking the car to bare metal and priced accordingly. Other body shops won't even consider doing an older car - too much hassle or work I suppose. So, I am learning to like patina....

Posted on: 2014/7/11 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Hank is gonna have a beautiful Patina. I had too much metal that had to be replaced so I have to go with a strip and shoot.

Posted on: 2014/7/11 18:32
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
If you love old cars, want to eventually do up a couple or three of them and want them looking very nice then I figure you're eventually going to have to do the paintwork yourself (- that is, unless you are rich).

But I think it is the most satisfying part of a resto job and not too difficult to get a handle on.

Posted on: 2014/7/12 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I couldn't agree more Larry. We could fill a ten page thread on whats needed to accomplish a "low end driver" "high end driver" and a "close to show quality" paint job at home and the REALISTIC time frames required. As I said, it can be done at home for 1500 or so on the 2nd and 3rd cars but will be 5 0r 6 Gs for the first so what is the savings since the result of the first attempt will be of less quality than the paint shop as the learning curve improvements will only help for the 2nd 3rd etc

Posted on: 2014/7/12 9:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Don't forget, if a shop accidentally makes a profit on the job the tax man comes in and takes his 40-50%.
A $10,000 job that grosses $3,000 in profit will net the painter 1500 bucks. And then there is tax on the profit of the paint company; and the sandpaper company; and the filler company; and the gas the poor guy bought to get to work. Yeah, sounds like someone is getting gouged to me.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/7/12 10:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved